A West Homestead …
A West Homestead man barricaded himself inside a Westmoreland County apartment with a woman this morning, threatening to shoot police.See more
Aldi will reopen …
Aldi will reopen the shuttered Bottom Dollar grocery store in Garfield as one of its own markets after residents protested the loss.See more
The IUP Crimson …
The IUP Crimson Hawks will play for a title after overcoming a second-half deficit in the DII semifinals Thursday night.See more
Saudi Arabia-led attacks …
Saudi Arabia-led attacks on Iran-backed Yemeni rebels will escalate a long-running war between competing regional spheres of influence, experts say.See more
In unrelated cases, …
In unrelated cases, the bodies of two Pittsburgh men who have been missing for months have been found in the Ohio River in West Virginia.See more
Norwin High School health teacher charged with selling heroinBy Tony LaRussa 2:41 p.m.
A Norwin health teacher was placed on paid leave Friday morning after district officials learned …
Penguins’ protracted slump continues with 5-2 loss at CarolinaBy Jason Mackey
RALEIGH, N.C. — Rob Scuderi blamed himself for an own-zone turnover that led to the …
First trailer for Pittsburgh-shot ‘Southpaw’ hits the InternetBy Tribune-Review 12:24 p.m.
The trailer for the latest major studio movie with Pittsburgh roots packs a serious punch. …
- Hays eagle egg watch continues 12:01 p.m.
- Lawrence County father, son charged with running illegal video gambling machines 2:45 p.m.
- Man to stand trial in July 4 shooting death 1:27 p.m.
- Pa. woman charged with forging docs to claim she was an attorney 1:51 p.m.
- Aldi to open store where Bottom Dollar closed in Garfield 2:51 p.m.
Port Authority secures free North Shore light-rail serviceBy Melissa Daniels 2:20 p.m.
Free light-rail service from Downtown to the North Shore is secure for the foreseeable future. Port Authority of Allegheny County board members unanimously signed off on a $1.2 million agreement Friday with the Stadium Authority for five years of subsidized …
- Norwin High School health teacher charged with selling heroin 2:41 p.m.
- Plagued by bomb threats, Yough offering $1,000 reward 3:00 p.m.
- Fracking foes pack zoning discussion in Ligonier Township
- Police end standoff with New Kensington man
- Women to stand trial in theft of drugs from Norwin Pharmacy
West Homestead man taken into custody after 8-hour police standoff in HempfieldBy Stacey Federoff 2:59 p.m.
A West Homestead man was taken into custody Friday afternoon, nearly eight hours after barricading himself inside a Westmoreland County apartment with a woman when Allegheny County Sheriff deputies attempted …
- Michigan man takes Heinz to court over Dip & Squeeze ketchup packet
- Stop foreign dumping, U.S. Steel CEO Longhi tells Congress
- Federal government eyes regulation of payday lending
- Pa. Gas & Electric agrees to $6.8 million settlement of polar vortex claims
- Federal Trade Commission cracks down on crooked vehicle sales
Pittsburgh angles to keep Heinz headquarters in mergerBy Alex Nixon and Chris Fleisher
A promise to keep headquarters in two cities when H.J. Heinz and Kraft Foods combine is seemingly out of sync with 3G Capital’s reputation for being lean and efficient. And …
- First trailer for Pittsburgh-shot ‘Southpaw’ hits the Internet 12:24 p.m.
- Review: ‘Wild Tales’ sinks its teeth into 6 tales of revenge
- Review: A teenage girl’s nightmare realized in ‘It Follows’
- 3 venues making Dormont the place to be for live music
- Pittsburgh native tapped as Carnegie International curator
- Spoon aims for the extraordinary but also tries to remain inviting
Barry Manilow plays Pittsburgh ‘one last time’By Jack Fordyce
Pop star Barry Manilow is preparing to retire from touring after some four decades of performing — but not before bringing his “One Last Time!” tour to Pittsburgh’s Consol Energy …
- First Draft: Beer lovers at CoStar take the time to brew it right
- Farm to Table Conference to offer tips on how to ‘Cook at Home’
- Celebrity Chef Tour plans dinner stop in Pittsburgh
- Cookbook author Joan Nathan delves into history of Jewish food
- KitchenWise: This Easter, master perfectly creamy scalloped potatoes
- Winegrowers are at the mercy of spring’s delicate beginnings
Spring check-up: Gingham is this season’s fashion favoriteBy JoAnne Klimovich Harrop
Check into gingham this spring. An array of colors, as well as basic black, make the checked-pattern look fresh and new, fashion experts say. “Gingham is everywhere,” says Gregg Andrews, …
- Death wishes & Obama’s hope
- Obama policies favor illegal aliens over Americans
- NGOs: Agents of subversion?
- Why the budget matters
- Straining U.S.-Israel ties
What’s gone wrong with Democracy?By Walter Williams
The Economist magazine recently published “What’s gone wrong with Democracy ... and what can be done to revive it?” The suggestion is that democracy is some kind of ideal for organizing human conduct. That’s a popular misconception. The ideal way …