Share This Page

Pens to announce Malkin extension

The Penguins went 10 hours past the start of the free-agent signing period - noon Tuesday - without learning if right wing Marian Hossa or defenseman Brooks Orpik would continue their NHL careers in Pittsburgh.

Chances are not one team official was even slightly frustrated with that development.

Nothing could deflate the Penguins yesterday, not after they finalized terms on a desired multi-year contract extension with representatives for superstar center Evgeni Malkin.

Neither the Penguins nor Malkin's agent, JP Barry, confirmed a deal was in place, but an announcement is expected this week.

Malkin's extension will pay him $8.7 million annually over five years starting with the 2009-10 season. The deal is a near-carbon copy of the extension signed last summer by teammate Sidney Crosby.

The significance of Malkin's extension is paramount to the Penguins' hope for keeping together a young core that consists of him, Crosby, center Jordan Staal, defenseman Ryan Whitney and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury.

The oldest player of that group, Whitney, is 25.

Fleury, 23, is slated for an arbitration hearing no sooner than July 20. However, talks between his camp and Penguins general manager Ray Shero continue to progress concerning a long-term contract.

Crosby, already an individual scoring champion and league MVP at 20, and Malkin, an MVP finalist at 21 this past season, would play together four seasons at a combined salary-cap hit of $17.4 million from 2009-10 to 2012-13 - the final season of Crosby's deal.

The current team payroll upper limit stands at $56.7 million. It has increased each year since the NHL returned from a lockout in 2005.

The most a player can earn according to the collective bargaining agreement is 20 percent of the upper limit during the year he signs a contract. The individual max is at $11.34 million.

Malkin is on vacation in his native Russia and could not be reached for comment.

He told the Tribune-Review last month that he was "an easy guy to deal with."

Now he is set to follow Crosby's lead and provide the Penguins with a hometown discount on a long-term deal.

The Penguins entered yesterday optimistic Hossa might join Malkin on that line.

Hossa, a star two-way player acquired Feb. 26 in a splashy deadline-day deal with Atlanta, had plenty of suitors yesterday.

By night's end, Boston appeared to move in another direction by signing forward Michael Ryder, leaving Montreal, Edmonton, Vancouver and the Penguins still in the hunt.

The Bruins had been considered the leading contender to pluck him from the Penguins, whose standing offer is believed to have been worth slightly more than $7 million annually over five years.

Shero said last month he thought they were atop Hossa's list of preferred employers.

The Penguins did not increase their offer to Hossa yesterday.

Shero, who has never detailed the offer, did not wait on Hossa's decision. He was engaged in talks with several free-agent forwards yesterday - including a surprise phone call to representatives for New York Rangers right wing Jaromir Jagr, who spent his first 11 seasons with the Penguins.

Jagr is a former Penguins captain and their second all-time leading scorer. He is represented by Pat Brisson, who is also Crosby's agent.

Brisson had no comment.

Shero never offered a contract to Jagr, whose stated desire is to stay with the Rangers.

Orpik, a respected leader in the Penguins' dressing room and their most physical defenseman, fielded several favorable offers from other teams. The Penguins' last offer - believed to be a five-year deal worth more than $3 million annually - did not result in an agreement.

Orpik's agent, Lewis Gross, did not return calls.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.