Share This Page

Pirates waiting on Sano

The Pirates expect to hear by the end of this week or early next week whether Major League Baseball agrees with their conclusion that prized Dominican prospect Miguel Angel Sano is, in fact, only 16 years old.

If so, expect other teams to jump into the mix for Sano, a shortstop/outfielder who is expected to attract a multi-million-dollar signing bonus.

So far, Pirates president Frank Coonelly said only the Pirates have made an official offer. They made it July 2, a few minutes past midnight, on the first day of the international signing period. Coonelly did not divulge the dollar amount.

"It appears that we were the only club willing to make an offer to Mr. Sano prior to the completion of Major League Baseball's investigation of his age," Coonelly said. "His agent informed us that (Sano) will wait until after the investigation (to accept any offer).

"I found that to be unfortunate, given that we have serious interest in the player and showed it by being out there right at the July 2 deadline, while other clubs apparently don't believe Mr. Sano when he says he's 16 years old."

The Baltimore Orioles, Minnesota Twins and Texas Rangers are among the teams that have expressed interest in signing Sano. Others are likely to join the bidding if MLB confirms Sano's age.

Yates lost for season

Pirates right-handed reliever Tyler Yates will miss the rest of the 2009 season after undergoing Tommy John surgery Tuesday to repair a torn ligament in his right elbow.

Yates, 31, had been on the 15-day disabled list since May 16 with right-elbow inflammation. He appeared in 15 games for the Pirates this season, going 0-2 with a 7.50 ERA in 12 innings. Yates, who signed a one-year, $1.3 million contract in January, is in his second season with the Pirates. He'll report to Bradenton, Fla., to continue his rehabilitation and won't expect to throw for another five to six months.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.