Big Ben not around for offseason workouts
The Steelers started offseason workouts Monday at their South Side practice facility. Most conspicuous by his absence was quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who has been accused of sexual assault in Milledgeville, Ga. Roethlisberger has kept a low profile since getting accused of sexual assault for the second time within the past nine months.
The workouts are not mandatory, though the Steelers appeared to get a lot of players for the first one yesterday. Among those who worked out yesterday at the Steelers' practice facility was defensive end Aaron Smith, who missed the final 11 games last season after sustaining a torn rotator cuff in October.
» While the Steelers will take a break from free agency and focus on the draft, that doesn't mean they have ruled out re-signing any of their own players, director of football operations Kevin Colbert said Monday. Among the Steelers who are unrestricted free agents are running back Willie Parker, cornerback Deshea Townsend and quarterback Charlie Batch.
"We'll never close the door on any of our guys," Colbert said.
» The Steelers met with Pitt tight ends Dorin Dickerson and Nate Byham yesterday. The two don't count against the 30 official visits the Steelers are allowed to host prior to the NFL Draft since Pitt is a local school. Colbert said the Steelers won't start bringing in out-of-town draft prospects until after the NFL owners meetings, which run from March 21-24 in Orlando, Fla.
» Larry Foote on returning to the Steelers less than a year after he requested his release from the team and was granted it: "It's something I didn't think was going to happen. I'm still in shock. In my heart, I'm a Steeler, and when I left last year they told me I'd always be one. I just didn't think I was going to be back here."
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments â either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.