Share This Page

Roethlisberger expected at first offseason practice

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who faces an uncertain future following two allegations of sexual assault since July, is expected to take part in the Steelers' first offseason practice today.

Roethlisberger worked out last week at the team's practice facility, but the Steelers only allowed him to return after they were convinced he is sincere about changing his ways.

Roethlisberger will not face charges after a 20-year-old college student accused him of sexually assaulting her March 5 in Milledgeville, Ga.

Steelers president Art Rooney II said last week the team will work with the NFL in disciplining Roethlisberger. He is facing a suspension and likely will miss the start of the 2010 season.

Rooney said the punishment won't be handed down until after the NFL draft, which runs Thursday through Saturday. He also said the organization had not talked to any team about trading Roethlisberger even though speculation continues to swirl about the two-time Super Bowl winner's long-term future with the Steelers.

"It's a situation where we are giving Ben an opportunity to regain the trust and respect that he wants to have and to regain the opportunity to be a successful quarterback for us," Rooney said.

One of the top quarterbacks in the NFL, Roethlisberger, 28, finds himself as a crossroads. A night of bar-hopping in Milledgeville resulted in damaging allegations but no charges after district attorney Fred Bright said he did not have enough evidence to prosecute Roethlisberger.

The Steelers have strongly condemned Roethlisberger and last week he met with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell in New York.

Roethlisberger has kept a low profile since the allegations. Last Monday, he apologized to the Steelers and his family while reading a statement at team headquarters.

"I absolutely want to be the leader this team deserves, valued in the community and a role model to kids," Roethlisberger said. "I have much work to do to earn this trust and I'm committed to improving and showing everyone my true values."

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.