Ward: Handcuffing a 'misunderstanding'
Hines Ward didn't skip a beat Thursday.
Hours after being handcuffed and detained briefly at gunpoint by Los Angeles police, the Steelers receiver and "Dancing With the Stars" contestant was back in the studio rehearsing his steps, said Ward's business manager, Andy Ree, and an ABC official.
"He is doing well and is rehearsing as hard as ever," Ree said.
The traffic stop happened about 1:30 a.m. yesterday in North Hollywood when police checked the license plate of a Honda Civic and learned the car had been reported stolen, but the report was out of date and mistakenly still in police records, said LAPD Officer Norma Eisenman, a spokeswoman for the department.
The car's female owner failed to tell police she had her car. Ward, 35, was briefly handcuffed, which is standard procedure, and held at gunpoint until the matter was resolved, Eisenman said.
"He was definitely taken aback by the incident and actually at first thought he was (on) 'Punk'd,' " Ree said, referring to a reality show in which celebrities are victims of elaborate pranks caught on hidden cameras. "But it was clearly a misunderstanding, a mistake. Hines did absolutely nothing wrong."
Police said Ward was "very cooperative." He and the driver — the car's owner whom Eisenman declined to identify — were allowed to go.
Ward could not be reached for comment but said on his Facebook page that he considers the matter closed.
"I want everyone to know that this was a complete misunderstanding," Ward wrote. "The police were just doing their job. Apologies were made, and it's now in the past. Moving forward."
Ward is spending part of his offseason in Los Angeles, where he is a contestant on ABC's hit dancing show. Ward is competing with professional partner Kym Johnson and is one of five celebrities remaining in the elimination-style dance competition.Additional Information:
Ward on Facebook
Click here to read what Hines has to say on his Facebook page.