Former Pitt QB Stull to rejoin Power
Former Pitt quarterback Bill Stull is returning to the Pittsburgh Power.
Power owner Matt Shaner said the Arena Football League team has signed Stull to a contract, and he will be introduced at a news conference Monday.
"He has to clear the league (transaction process)," Shaner said. "But I don't expect anything to stop him (from joining the team)."
Stull, who had no comment when reached Saturday, joined the Power last year, but at the start of this season, he decided not to play while finishing his communications degree at Pitt.
But Stull agreed to return with only five weeks remaining in Pitt's semester, and he may be available for the Power's home opener Friday at Consol Energy Center against the Philadelphia Soul.
Before the Power signed Stull, Andrico Hines was the only quarterback on the roster, the result of Shaner firing the entire team amidst the threat of a players strike two hours before the season-opening game March 9 in Orlando, Fla.
After the players were told they were fired, their union declared a strike but called it off after 10 players decided to play that night in the Power's 40-26 victory over the Orlando Predators.
Subsequently, Shaner offered new contracts to 22 players from the orginal roster, with the exceptions of starting quarterback Kyle Rowley and kicker Taylor Rowan, and 18 accepted.
Asked why Rowley, who was the Power's union representative, was not offered a new contract, Shaner said, "He doesn't fit our system."
Rowley said no one from the team's front office has told him why he wasn't asked to return.
Meanwhile, Shaner said every player, including Rowley, Rowan and others who did not play against the Predators, will be paid a $450 game check.
"It's an extra expense I decided that the organization would pay because most of the guys re-signed with the team," Shaner said.
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments â either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.