'Family Guy' creator MacFarlane to host Oscars
By The Associated Press
Published: Monday, Oct. 1, 2012, 12:24 p.m.
LOS ANGELES -- "Family Guy" creator Seth MacFarlane will host the 2013 Oscars ceremony in Los Angeles.
First-time Academy Awards producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron made the announcement Monday.
Zadan and Meron said they're "thrilled" about their choice.
"His performing skills blend perfectly with our ideas for making the show entertaining and fresh," the producers said in a statement.
MacFarlane is best known for his envelope-pushing animated TV shows "Family Guy" and "American Dad." He made his big-screen directorial debut earlier this year with "Ted," which took in more than $420 million at the box office. The 38-year-old entertainer also hosted the season opener of "Saturday Night Live" last month and released an album of big-band tunes from the 1940s and '50s last year.
This is his first time hosting the Academy Awards.
MacFarlane called the opportunity "an overwhelming privilege."
"My thoughts upon hearing the news were, one, I will do my utmost to live up to the high standards set forth by my predecessors; and two, I hope they don't find out I hosted the Charlie Sheen Roast," he said Monday.
Nominations for the 85th annual Oscars will be announced on Jan. 10 - nearly a week earlier than typically revealed and coming ahead of the Golden Globe Awards. The Oscars will be presented Feb. 24 at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center in Los Angeles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- East McKeesport reduces millage
- Judge allows evidence in case against New Ken-Arnold teacher
- Homestead accepts proposed budget
- Cocaine dealer released on bail before sentence
- Steelers safety Polamalu finds himself in tough position
- Washington Township approves tax-neutral $2.6M budget
- Alle-Kiski Valley schools better statewide scores
- Kovacevic: A great day to appreciate No. 68
- Avonmore mayor files EEOC harassment case against council
- LeBeau wants to come back as Steelers defensive coordinator
- Springdale officer who resigned to receive severance