Spielberg to speak at Gettysburg event
By The Associated Press
Published: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 9:02 p.m.
Updated: Friday, October 5, 2012
GETTYSBURG — Director Steven Spielberg will deliver the keynote address at an observance commemorating the 149th anniversary of President Abraham Lincoln's “Gettysburg Address,” officials said Tuesday.
Officials with Gettysburg National Military Park in Central Pennsylvania said that Spielberg's remarks will coincide with the release of his film “Lincoln,” which stars Daniel Day-Lewis in the title role.
Spielberg will speak at about 10 a.m. Nov. 19 at the Soldiers' National Cemetery in Gettysburg, following a wreath laying. A Lincoln re-enactor will recite the famous speech, and 16 people will become naturalized citizens during a ceremony run by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Lincoln's remarks at the dedication of the military cemetery, which begin with the phrase “Four score and seven years ago,” are generally considered one of the best presidential speeches in American history.
Previous speakers at the annual commemoration include presidents Harry Truman and Dwight Eisenhower, and Gov. Tom Ridge. The event is free.
Gettysburg is the site of the pivotal battle of the Civil War, where Northern troops were able to repel the Confederate army under Gen. Robert E. Lee. Plans are under way for the battle's 150th anniversary in 2013, which is expected to draw about 1 million additional visitors to Gettysburg over the course of the year.
- Penguins Insider: Time is right for Jokinen’s return
- Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger likes the revamped offense
- Steelers’ Polamalu trim, fit as he arrives for OTAs
- Kovacevic: Pens improve under microscope
- Neal’s solid play soon could pay off on scoresheet for Penguins
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- Sisters ejected from Pennsylvania mall for profane cancer hats
- Pirates notebook: Penguins jerseys in fashion for road trip
- Steelers notebook: Less talk, more work is Tomlin’s theme
- Penguins notebook: Morrow leaves practice with injury
- Peduto secures Democratic nomination for Pittsburgh mayor
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.