Air New Zealand finds magic in hobbit safety video
By The Associated Press
Published: Friday, November 2, 2012, 12:36 p.m.
Updated: Friday, November 2, 2012
Perhaps hairy-footed hobbits can teach us all something about safety.
Most regular travelers pay little attention to those snooze-inducing inflight safety videos. But Air New Zealand has found some magic by celebrating the upcoming premiere of the first in the “Hobbit” movie trilogy.
The airline's four-minute safety video featuring the character Gollum and film director Peter Jackson got more than 2 million hits on YouTube within a day of being posted Thursday. The carrier calls itself “the airline of Middle-earth” and cabin staff appear in the clip as film characters.
The hobbits themselves would be proud. After all, author J.R.R. Tolkien created the mythical creatures as risk-averse.
Two of the author's great-grandsons even make cameos. Royd Tolkien appears wearing prosthetic feet.
Big and hairy, of course.
- Senators' Alfredsson clarifies comments made after Game 4
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- NHL commissioner Bettman talks Crosby, Olympics, outdoor games
- Starkey: Pens’ offense blazing historic path
- Penguins insider: Golden opportunity arrives with Game 5
- Steelers notebook: Gilbert hopes to stay on left side of O-line
- Fayette County casino to open July 1
- 3 arrested in break-in at Allegheny Ludlum plant
- Penguins notebook: Bylsma likes response to adversity
- NK-Arnold OKs proposed tax hike
- Pittsburgh City Council chief Harris eyes mayor’s job
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.