Crack addition rivals love in Danish drama
By Colin Colvert
Published: Thursday, November 22, 2012, 8:51 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, November 22, 2012
We meet Erik (Thure Lindhardt), a young Danish documentarian living in millennial New York City, as he works the phone, trying to arrange an anonymous gay hookup. He meets, and falls hard for, Paul (Zachary Booth), a publishing junior executive who claims to have a girlfriend and tells Erik not to get his hopes up. Their intense sexual bond leads to dating and something like romance.
Paul's girlfriend drops out of the picture and the men become a comfortably affluent, sophisticated couple for a decade. Their relationship is still a love triangle, however, with Paul's clandestine addiction to crack rivaling his bond to self-doubting Erik. As their home life becomes a chain of unanswered calls home and unexplained absences, both men must decide whether their relationship is worth fighting for.
This intimate semi-autobiographical drama from director Ira Sachs (“Forty Shades of Blue”) is commendably frank about the challenges facing his characters. The cast, uniformly excellent, draws us into a vibrant, energetic Manhattan where commitments are forged and broken through sheer chance and those seeking permanence must continually resist temptation and ennui.
In English and subtitled Danish.
Colin Colvert is a staff writer at the Star Tribune (Minneapolis).
- Steelers’ Polamalu trim, fit as he arrives for OTAs
- Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger likes the revamped offense
- Pirates notebook: Penguins jerseys in fashion for road trip
- Kovacevic: Pens improve under microscope
- Penguins Insider: Time is right for Jokinen’s return
- Steelers notebook: Less talk, more work is Tomlin’s theme
- Snider’s grand slam pushes Pirates to late victory over Cubs
- Bilik DeFazio leads race on both ballots
- ‘We did it!’ Peduto tells city, as he defeats Wagner
- Lincoln takes primary
- Mt. Pleasant mayor victorious
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.