‘Escape From Planet Earth’ flies into theaters
By David Frese
Published: Thursday, February 14, 2013, 8:55 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, February 14, 2013
What is it? A nerdy alien has to go to Earth to save his super-studly space-exploring older brother who has been captured by the U.S. government. Featuring the voices of Brendan Fraser, Rob Corddry, William Shatner, Sarah Jessica Parker, Jessica Alba, George Lopez, Sofia Vergara, Jane Lynch.
Why didn't the Weinstein Co. show it to critics? A rep for the studio said final prints weren't ready in time to set up screenings for the press.
Why we'd see it: Having Shatner, aka Captain Kirk from the original “Star Trek,” voice the U.S. general who captures the aliens is inspired.
Why we wouldn't: These 3-D kiddie movies are usually 20 minutes of things-flying-at-the-camera too long. And it was written by the people who made those awful “Hoodwinked” movies.
David Frese is a staff writer for The Kansas City Star.
- An intensely cold ruthless ‘Iceman’ cometh
- ‘Renoir’ paints old man surrounded by beauty and loyalty
- ‘Fast & Furious 6’ driven by little more than action and effects
- ‘Epic’ aims high, achieves … middlin’
- ‘Reluctant Fundamentalist’ tries to straddle dual worlds
- Big budget films make summer sizzle
- DVD reviews: ‘The Last Stand,’ ‘Side Effects’ and ‘Parker’
- MacFarlane won’t return as 2014 Oscar host
- DVD reviews: ‘Cloud Atlas’ and ‘Texas Chainsaw’
- Star Trek’s ongoing mission: To infiltrate pop culture
- Star Trek director boldly goes to conquer non-sci-fi fans
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.