Symphony to pay tribute to Jerry Garcia
Published: Friday, March 8, 2013, 8:57 p.m.
Updated: Friday, March 8, 2013
The Jerry Garcia Symphonic Celebration will have its local debut with the Pittsburgh Symphony on June 18 at Heinz Hall.
Tickets go on sale March 11 for symphony subscribers and March 25 for the general public.
The tribute to the Grateful Dead's iconic leader, conducted by Fawzi Haimor, will feature singer and guitarist Warren Haynes performing Garcia's compositions and the standards that were part of Grateful Dead shows.
Haynes was a long-time guitarist with the Allman Brothers Band, a founding member of Gov't Mule, and often performed with members of the Grateful Dead after Garcia's death in 1995.
The concert will start at 7:30 p.m. June 18 at Heinz Hall, Downtown. Tickets are $30 to $78. Details: 412-392-4900 or www.pittsburghsymphony.org.
— Mark Kanny
There are currently no comments for this story.
- Billy Price has lots of help to keep him staying ‘Strong’
- Singer, songwriter comes back to Pittsburgh for Sunday evening performance
- Pixar goes live with Pittsburgh Orchestra
- Country crooner Chesney brings the party to Pittsburgh’s Heinz Field
- Deafheaven’s ‘Sunbather’ an instant hit
- Inventiveness is hallmark of new jazz offerings
- Kenny G smoothly controls Pittsburgh Symphony Pops stage