Staples to perform at Newport Folk Festival
NEWPORT, R.I. — The Newport Folk Festival says gospel singer Mavis Staples will perform in this year's line-up.
Staples is the first act to be announced for the 2014 festival, which will be held July 25-27. The festival says special guests will honor her birthday and “75 Years of Mavis” throughout the weekend.
Founder George Wein said on Monday it's a joy to honor Staples. He said her family's band, The Staple Singers, was one of the first gospel groups to play in Newport and that they have appeared in both the folk and jazz festivals over the years.
The festival began in 1959 and has featured influential musicians such as Joan Baez, Pete Seeger and Johnny Cash.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Photo gallery: Luke Bryan at First Niagara Pavilion
- Van Halen plays plenty of favorites in First Niagara show
- Out of the Blue rediscovers winning musical formula
- Graham Nash’s summer break ... is going out on tour solo
- Old Crow Medicine Show ‘Raise a Ruckus’ at Stage AE
- Pop band One Direction is moving forward with tour stop at Heinz Field
- Review: Pittsburgh New Music Ensemble adds fresh take to revival
- Pittsburgh singer Lee spreads love through music, charitable works
- Deutschtown Music Festival a big hit in small neighborhood
- Rascal Flatts looks to ‘Rewind’ to keep it fresh at First Niagara show
- Smith’s blend of classical, jazz creates enjoyable ride