• Michael L. Cleppe was named president, engineered products group, Allegheny Technologies Inc.
• Thermal Industries Inc., a division of Atrium Corp., named Dan Novak vice president of operations.
Lisa Marie Givner joined the Pittsburgh office of Babst Calland as director of human resources. Ryan D. Elliott , Michael C. Murphy and Nikolas E. Tysiak joined the firm's Pittsburgh office as associates. Elliott joined the environmental services, and the energy and natural resources groups; Murphy joined the environmental services group; and Tysiak joined the energy and natural resources, and the business services group. Elliott assists clients on matters including federal and state air, water and waste regulatory compliance. Murphy concentrates his practice on site remediation, solid and hazardous waste, and environmental issues. Tysiak practices in energy and real estate law, with a focus on transactions and ownership involving oil and gas.
Mary Duranti , director, UPMC Disabilities Resource Center, was appointed to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Health Policy Board.
• Lt. Gen. Rick Lynch (U.S. Army, retired) joined RE2 Inc. as a consultant and member of the company's advisory board.
• Aquion Energy Inc. named Amy Higgins vice president of human resources.
• Jeanine Blackburn is now Pittsburgh chapter president, National Black MBA Association.
• The Smithsonian Institution's Archives of American Art elected Martin O'Brien to its board of trustees. O'Brien is a founding member of Pittsburgh Social Venture Partners and co-founder and president of Allied Insurance Brokers.
• The Pittsburgh office of RETTEW welcomed Robert D. Cawthern , senior environmental scientist, natural sciences division; Jaime L. Johnson , senior project manager, geosciences division; and Daniel R. Paoly , project manager, geographic information system division.
• A E Works Ltd. hired Anthony Frassetta as a security and technology specialist and Steven Bucha as a building designer.
• Michael R. Dowling has become a shareholder of KU Resources Inc. Dowling is a senior project manager at the firm.
• VisitPittsburgh's board of directors elected: Chairman William T. Cagney , business manager and financial secretary, International Union of Operating Engineers; First Vice Chairman Kevin Kilkeary , president and chief executive officer, Prospera Hospitality Services; Second Vice Chairman Jamie Campolongo , chief executive officer, Pittsburgh Transportation Group; Treasurer Bill Bodine , director, Frick Art and Historical Center; Secretary Ann Dugan , assistant dean, Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business, University of Pittsburgh; Immediate Past Chairman Doris Carson Williams , president, African American Chamber of Commerce of Western Pennsylvania. Directors elected: David Hammer , president of Huntington Bank's Pittsburgh region; Edwin (Eddie) Lozano president and chief executive officer, Pittsburgh Brewing Co.; Corey O'Connor , member, Pittsburgh City Council; and Eric Werner , an executive director within the J.P. Morgan Private Bank.
• Scott Lammie received the Jesse W. Fife Jr. Fabric of Our Community Award from Bidwell Training Center, an affiliate of Manchester Bidwell Corp. Lammie is chief financial officer, UPMC Health Plan, and senior vice president, UPMC Insurance Services Division.
• Dr. Donald M. Yealy , chair of the department of emergency medicine at University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and UPMC, received the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine Leadership Award and the McEllroy Award, presented by the University of Pittsburgh Medical Alumni Association.
• Dr. Paul Paris , chief medical officer, Center for Emergency Medicine, and professor of emergency medicine at University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, was recognized as one of the EMS 10: Innovators in EMS 2011. The award is sponsored by JEMS/Elsevier Public Safety and Physio-Control Inc.
Patrick J. Clair of law firm Goehring, Rutter & Boehm spoke at the Pennsylvania School Board Association's spring legal roundup. Clair serves as solicitor to the Hampton, Pine Richland, Quaker Valley and Riverview school districts.