Consol Energy to expand longwall mines
Consol Energy Inc. plans to expand longwall mining at its Bailey Mine in Southwest Pennsylvania, one of the two highest-producing underground coal mines in the nation.
The Bailey Mine, referred to as BMS Mine by Consol, already has two longwall mining machines in operation. It's part of the Bailey-Enlow Fork mining complex along the border between Greene and Washington counties.
The Enlow Fork mine also uses two longwall machines. Consol plans to add a third longwall machine at the Bailey Mine so it will produce about 5 million tons of coal annually by 2014.
The mine has about 300 workers but will add about 375 as part of the expansion.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Starkey: Penguins not mortgaging future
- Surgeon to examine Pirates’ Cumpton after experiencing elbow discomfort
- Penguins GM Rutherford not counting on Dupuis’ return
- Shenefelt of North Huntingdon accused of road rage altercation in Westmoreland
- Frazer police receive state funding for more undercover patrols at Mills
- Penguins acquire defensemen Lovejoy, Cole in deadline deals
- Weekly snack meeting with Penn Hills volunteers, students aims to make positive impact
- Zoning update raises fears in Ligonier Township
- Sales, income taxes increases expected in Gov. Tom Wolf’s budget
- Pirates notebook: Hart ‘down a few days’ after cutting foot
- Inmate care in Allegheny County Jail generates worries