Koppers picks a pair of vice presidents
- Koppers Inc. named Kevin J. Fitzgerald senior vice president of global carbon materials and chemicals, and Michael J. Mancione vice president of North American carbon materials and chemicals. Fitzgerald has overall management responsibility of global carbon materials and chemicals. Mancione has experience in plant operations, logistics, and marketing and sales.
- The Pennsylvania Petroleum Marketers & Convenience Store Association named Donald E. Bowers to their board of directors and chairman of the Motor Fuels and Convenience Store Committee. He is the owner of Superior Petroleum Co.
- Alpern Rosenthal named Paul Block tax manager, Carla Webb senior tax manager and Brian Kirkpatrick comprehensive risk manager. Block and Webb work in the tax department, and Kirkpatrick in the accounting and auditing department.
- Melissa Mason joined CrawfordEllenbogen LLC as an accounting associate. She is responsible for a range of client matters, including tax research and tax compliance for businesses and individuals.
- Parente Randolph named Joseph A. Meleason , Justine D. Pelesky , Anne McCready and Amanda Beerens to the audit team and Terry Gutshall to the senior living services team. Pelesky previously worked for Jackson Hewitt Tax Service, General Nutrition Financial Services and Parkvale Bank; Beerens worked as a tax preparer with Jackson Hewitt; and Gutshall has experience in senior living services, with expertise in administrative and financial management.
- Kimberly A. Craver , Keenan D. Holmes and Harry A. Readshaw joined Eckert Seamans Cherin and Mellott LLC as associates. Craver works in the litigation division and focuses her practice on labor and employment matters; Holmes also works in the litigation division but focuses his practice on employment and labor issues; and Readshaw works in the business division and focuses his practice on bankruptcy and creditors' rights issues.
- Dan Durishan joined Bernstein Law Firm P.C. as manager of the creditors' rights practice area. He is responsible for staff leadership of all those involved in the creditors' rights practice area, establishing business objectives and reporting on performance, process improvements and strategic planning.
- Brian C. Vertz earned the designation as an accredited valuation analyst from the National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts. He is a partner in the matrimonial law firm of Pollock Begg Komar Glasser LLC.
- Thomas C. Gricks III rejoined the construction, environmental and litigation practice groups of Schnader Harrison Segal & Lewis LLP. He focuses on various aspects of construction law and environmental matters.
- Richard O'Neill Earley joined Stonecipher, Cunningham, Beard & Schmitt, P.C. He represents clients in employment matters and commercial litigation.
- Cohen & Grigsby, P.C. named Elizabeth H. Cronise , Philip K. Kontul , Nicole L. Phatak and Helen S. Shaffer associates, and John M. Rumin director. Cronise works in the litigation group and concentrates her practice in the areas of mass torts, product defects, consumer protection, antitrust and securities fraud; Kontul works in the labor and employment group and concentrates his practice in representing and counseling employers in a wide range of employment related matters; Phatak works in the estates and trusts group and focuses her practice in the areas of estate and trust planning; Shaffer works in the bankruptcy and creditors' right and litigation groups and concentrates her practice on general litigation matters; and Rumin works in the business group, where he concentrates his practice in the areas of corporate and municipal finance and taxation.
Advertising, public relations
- Magnet Global Network named Cheri D. Gmiter executive director and controller. She works to recruit new members in key markets throughout the world to continue growth and development of the network.
- Sewickley Graphics & Design Inc. named Michael Seidl senior graphic designer. He is responsible for concept, design and production, illustration, Web site development, photography direction and art direction.
- Brady Communications named Jenny Pearson art director. Previously, she worked as a designer for the firm.
- Carnegie Learning Inc. named David Farr chief financial officer and Mike Reynolds national sales manager. Farr previously worked for TRG Customer Solutions as chief financial officer, and Reynolds worked for Plato Learning.
- John Carroll University elected Howard W. "Hoddy" Hanna III to its board of directors. He is chairman and chief executive officer of Howard Hanna Real Estate Services.
- The Western Pennsylvania Hospital named Mark R. Palmer president and chief executive officer. He has experience in health care administration and management at facilities across the country and previously served as chief executive officer at Alvardo Hospital Medical Center, San Diego Rehabilitation Institute.
- Sandra Tomlinson joined the Family Hospice and Palliative Care board of directors. She is senior vice president of provider services at Highmark Inc.
- Dr. Sally Wenzel joined the faculty of the division of pulmonary, allergy and critical care medicine at the UPMC Comprehensive Lung Center, was named professor of medicine at the UPMC School of Medicine and director of the Asthma, Allergy and Airway Research Center. She specializes in treating patients with severe asthma who do not respond to current treatments.
- Sarah E. Joseph joined Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Pittsburgh as an enrollment and match specialist. She is responsible for the enrollment, assessment and matching of volunteer mentors with children in the agency's Community-based Mentoring Program and will work with other agency staff to delivery the organization's one-to-one mentoring programs to more than 1,000 youth who reside in Allegheny, Washington and Greene counties.
- Executive Women International board of directors elected Audrey Puko secretary and treasurer. She is responsible for recording the minutes of the corporate board and trustees and reporting on the finances of the corporation. Puko is a specialist-CBO National Support Staff for Verizon.
- The Hill House Economic Development Corp. board of directors named Mel Steals chairman for the 2006-2007 fiscal year. He is an implementation coordinator on the Continuous Improvement Team for PNC Financial Services Group. The Hill House Economic Development Corp. also elected new board officers. They are: Ronald Porter Sr. , vice chairperson; Susan Hileman Malone , secretary; and Richard Witherspoon , treasurer.
- Kevin Kinsella was certified as a Toyota truck champion after completing four days of specialized training on the 2007 Toyota Tundra at the company's truck manufacturing plant in Princeton, Ind. He works for Rohrick Toyota.
- The Greater Pittsburgh Postal Customer Council named two new members to its board. They are: Robert Webb , of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center; and Frank Hayes , from the Allegheny County mailroom.
- Several individuals in the Pittsburgh region received the PNC Performance Award, presented by the PNC Financial Service Group Inc. They are: Helen Collins , Pittsburgh branch, wealth management division; Jon DiLucia , Pittsburgh branch, technology and processing services; Kerry Stith , Allison Park branch, operations division; and Amy Tunstall , Cranberry branch, retail banking finance division.
- The Institute of Medicine elected Dr. Timothy R. Billiar to its 2006 class. He is a George V. Foster Professor of Surgery and chair of the department of surgery at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. New members join the exclusive ranks of those whose contributions have advanced the fields of medical science and public health. Election is considered one of medicine's highest honors.
- Jackie Johnson was chosen as the honoree at the 2006 Family Hospice and Palliative Care "Toast to Life" Gala. She is founder and chief executive officer of Corazon Inc.