Share This Page

Marcellus shale drillers dramatically scale back well operations

| Sunday, March 6, 2016, 9:00 p.m.
Keith Hodan | Tribune-Review
File photo of a drilling rig in Avella working in the Marcellus shale.

Analysts for months have predicted that natural gas production from the Marcellus shale would tail off as prices tumbled to 16-year lows and drilling activity slowed.

Company executives are starting to agree.

“These production levels are simply not sustainable based on the reduced level of activity we see today,” Cabot Oil & Gas CEO Dan O. Dinges said during a recent earnings call with analysts.

The top shale gas producers in Appalachia over the past few weeks announced several billion dollars in combined capital spending cuts for 2016 that will slow — and for some outfits stop — the drilling of new wells.

The list of companies with no drilling rigs currently working the Marcellus includes top producer Chesapeake Energy, Southwestern Energy, Consol Energy and Anadarko Petroleum. Cabot and Rice Energy are down to one each, and Range Resources is running just three, down from 15 at the start of last year.

The total number of rigs running in Pennsylvania dropped to 16 on Friday, a third of the 47 rigs running this time last year and the lowest number since the shale boom began a decade ago, according to data from oilfield services company Baker Hughes.

Because of more efficient techniques, fewer rigs can accomplish more work. And some companies will continue to bring online an inventory of previously drilled but uncompleted wells.

That will allow a few companies to hit increased production goals for this year, but overall Marcellus production should level off or fall this year, according to the Energy Information Administration and others. The EIA said March production from the Marcellus would be 202 million cubic feet per day less than in February.

“I think by the end of the year that inventory will start to run out. You'll have a lot of companies with no rigs running,” said Steve Schlotterbeck, president of Downtown-based EQT Corp. “The rig count is unsustainably low at this point. Once we work through that inventory, I think we might see a fairly sharp response in supply and therefore prices.”

Huge production gains over the past two years fed the glut that sent benchmark prices falling below $1.70 per million British thermal units for the first time since 1999. A mild winter exacerbated the problem. U.S. natural gas consumption by residential customers in December reached a 31-year low, the EIA said last week. It expects the country to finish winter with a record amount of gas in storage.

Last summer, when prices fell below $1 in parts of Pennsylvania, analysts started saying companies would cut back production. Only recently has it started to happen.

Chesapeake, the biggest shale gas producer in the state, recently predicted companywide production for 2016 would be even with last year or 5 percent less. No. 2 producer Cabot dialed its expectation back to an increase of between 2 and 7 percent. Anadarko did not mention the Marcellus in its 2016 operations announcement.

Southwestern, which began last year with bold plans to increase production on newly acquired land, stopped drilling and is looking to sell assets.

“With this planned activity, production is expected to decline,” CEO Bill Way told analysts, saying, “we're in very different times from a commodity price perspective, and we believe this is the prudent path to take for now.”

Slowing production will eventually lead to higher prices once storage levels come down and exports increase.

“I'm pretty bullish for '17 and '18,” Schlotterbeck said. “There's a lot of reasons on both supply and demand once we get through this year.”

David Conti is the assistant business editor at the Tribune-Review. Reach him at 412-388-5802 or dconti@tribweb.com.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.