EQT Plaza sold for $99.2M; deal avoids transfer tax
A Raleigh real estate investment company purchased its second landmark office building Downtown, closing Tuesday on the 32-story EQT Plaza skyscraper for $99.2 million.
Highwoods Properties Inc. said the acquisition cost includes $8 million in spending on improvements to the building, which houses energy company EQT Corp. and other tenants. In September 2011, Highwoods' bought PPG Place for $214.1 million, a price that included improvement costs.
“We are thrilled to expand our footprint by 40 percent in Downtown Pittsburgh with the acquisition of another Class A office building,” CEO Ed Fritsch said.
Highwoods said it acquired 100 percent of building owner Liberty Avenue Mezzanine LLC, a Delaware holding company.
The structure of the deal means that the company won't pay a 4 percent transfer tax that normally applies to real estate deals in Pittsburgh, Fritsch said.
“It was not an avoidance maneuver,” he said. The only way to acquire the building was to buy the holding company, he said. “There was no deed for us to acquire.”
The avoidance of transfer taxes in deals for expensive office buildings in recent years has sparked criticism from government officials. A new state law goes into effect Jan. 1 to close a loophole known as an “89-11” sale, in which the seller conveys 89 percent of its interest in a real estate corporation, rather than the property itself, and the buyer can buy the remaining 11 percent after three years.
The 2011 sale of the 64-story U.S. Steel Tower, the city's tallest office building, for $250 million avoided the transfer tax through the 89-11 loophole.
Fritsch said Highwoods' acquisition of EQT Plaza was not an 89-11 deal.
Highwoods expects the building's occupany rate to increase to 95.9 percent by the third quarter 2013, up from 92.2 percent now as new tenants come in and existing ones expand, Fritsch said.
He declined to identify the new or expanding tenants.
In addition to EQT, the building's other large tenants are insurer AIG and law firms Cohen & Grigsby, McGuireWoods and Fox Rothschild.
The company hopes to add other Pittsburgh property to its portfolio and for opportunities to develop new buildings, though Fritsch declined to identify anything specific.
Highwoods wants to expand, he said, but it will be patient and “not just bulk up to bulk up.”
Alex Nixon is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7928 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Add Alex Nixon to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Faulty air bags in 30M vehicles
- First Niagara sets aside $45 million
- Amazon investors’ patience wears thin
- Mini goes mainstream
- Toyota Yaris adds French flair for ’15
- Bond mutual funds continue to carry their weight
- Motoring Q&A: ‘Check engine’ light doesn’t reset itself
- Sell-off reins in complacency
- Stocks rise broadly on earnings; Amazon sinks
- Natrona Bottling Co. keeps soda pop operation focused on craft, taste
- PUC approves Columbia Gas pipeline extensions program for homeowners