Self-employment and taxes
By Chuck Myers
Published: Thursday, January 17, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Thursday, January 17, 2013
Self-employment can bring a strong sense of empowerment. But like every business, self-employed individuals must pay taxes.
The tax rules governing self-employed businesses aren't exactly the same for people who work for a company. A number of websites, however, offer a wide range of information on self-employed tax requirements and planning. Here are just a few:
-Financial Web: Features self-employed taxes overview. http://www.finweb.com/taxes/tax-tips-self-employment-taxes.html
-FindLaw: Contains host of information, including who pays self-employment taxes, tax rates and deduction details. http://smallbusiness.findlaw.com/business-taxes/self-employment-tax.html
-Internal Revenue Service: Explains self-employed tax obligations, filing and payments. http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Self-Employed-Individuals-Tax-Center
-National Association for the Self-Employed: Resource center with tax news, forms and assistance for the self-employed. http://www.nase.org/LearningCenter/taxresourcecenter.aspx
-Social Security Administration: Lays out income tax rules for Social Security and Medicare taxes, deductions and reporting earnings. http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10022.html
Source: McClatchy-Tribune Information Services
- Automated teller machine fees up 20 percent in 5 years
- PPG Corning bankruptcy plan receives preliminary approval
- Auto safety advances through the decades
- Stocks charge higher on hopeful economic reports
- Study: Retirees face declining standard of living
- Bloomberg appoints ex-IBM CEO as privacy adviser
- Government OKs Texas LNG plan
- Graduates hope for pomp and jobs
- Region’s makeover intrigues Abu Dhabi delegation touring W.Pa.
- Federal regulators say Consol can reopen fire-stricken mine
- Pa. jobless rate declines as fewer look for work
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.