6 W.Pa. women among 122 honored for manufacturing expertise
By Thomas Olson
Published: Wednesday, January 16, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Tuesday, February 19, 2013
A half-dozen women employed in manufacturing in Western Pennsylvania were chosen on Tuesday to receive for excellence in science, technology, engineering and production.
The inaugural STEP Awards honor 122 women nationwide at all levels of manufacturing. The awards are sponsored by The Manufacturing Institute, the Society of Manufacturing Engineers, the University of Phoenix and Deloitte.
An award presentation and reception will be held Feb. 5 in Washington. The locally based awardees are:
• Colleen Wood Cordova, Kennametal Inc., Latrobe
• Vickie DeThomas, FLIR, Freeport
• Anne Herman, Mine Safety Appliances Co., Cranberry
• Martina Igel, Kennametal Inc., Latrobe
• Liz Russell, Stella-Jones Corp., Downtown
• Bethanne Dearmitt, Somerset Welding & Steel Inc., Boswell, Somerset County
“We chose to honor these women because they each made significant achievements in manufacturing through positive impact on their company and the industry as a whole,” said Jennifer McNelly, president of the Manufacturing Institute.
Thomas Olson is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached a 412-320-7854.
or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pipeline project creates unease in Westmoreland County
- Wal-Mart plasters stores with green dots
- Wheelchair-bound woman’s passion for independence drives electric-car prototype
- Unions wary of new health care law
- Payout to American Airlines CEO opposed
- PUC probes claims by electric suppliers
- Buyers are starting to ignore the Malibu
- China to give U.S. access to audit records
- Stock market ends week with loss
- Profit drops 29 percent in first quarter at American Eagle Outfitters
- Dick’s earnings rise 13 percent, but sales disappoint
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.