Lay’s test-crunches 3 new chip flavors
By The Associated Press
Published: Saturday, February 9, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Saturday, February 9, 2013
The next Lay's potato chip will taste like chicken and waffles. Or cheesy garlic bread. Or Sriracha, a hot sauce often used in Thai dishes.
Lay's is letting potato chip lovers decide which one of the three will be its newest flavor. All of them will be sold at retailers nationwide starting next week. After trying them, fans have until May to vote for their favorites. The flavor with the most votes will stay on store shelves.
But if the other two flavors sell well, they may remain in stores, too, said Ann Mukherjee, chief marketing officer at Frito-Lay.
“Who knows, we don't know what's going to happen.” she said. “Our intent is to keep the one that people vote for.”
It's the latest promotional stunt that tries to engage customers through social media and direct interaction, much as Hasbro's Monopoly did with its recent contest that ended with the addition of a cat game token and the demise of the iron.
- As yen falls, so does cost of products from Japan
- Automated teller machine fees up 20 percent in 5 years
- Idaho spud giant bets on biotech potatoes
- Web giants likely to battle for music fans’ attention
- Pa. jobless rate declines as fewer look for work
- Federal regulators say Consol can reopen fire-stricken mine
- Americans fail to find jobs as firms hire foreigners
- Blairsville-area company finds 2nd calling in shale gas service industry
- West Penn Allegheny Health System top earner: CEO who left
- Tribune-Review owner to sell stake in KQV-AM 1410
- PPG Corning bankruptcy plan receives preliminary approval
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.