Whole Foods: Products will carry GMO labeling
Published: Saturday, March 9, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Saturday, March 9, 2013
Whole Foods says all products in its North American stores will have labels disclosing whether they contain genetically modified ingredients by 2018.
The company says it's the first national grocery chain to set such a deadline for labeling foods that contain genetically modified organisms, or GMOs.
Whole Foods Market Inc. notes that it has been working with suppliers for years to source products that don't have GMO ingredients. It says it sells more than 3,000 GMO-free products, more than any other retailer in North America.
The use of GMOs has been a growing issue, with health advocates pushing to require labels on GMO products.
- Highmark to extend self-insurance plans to small businesses
- SEC investigation to continue into ‘suspicious’ acquisition of Heinz stock option
- More choose to buy into jobs
- United makes MileagePlus status harder to achieve
- It’s about what you can bring
- Pending FDA approval, trials to begin on ALung’s artificial lung
- Merck, Pfizer sue to block proposed version of AzaSite
- PNC to phase out free checking accounts
- Justices deal blow to drug companies’ profit-sharing
- Investors buy modestly, await word of Fed
- 250-room luxury hotel to be built in Sixth Avenue building Downtown
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.