U.S. cites al-Qaida threat in global travel warning
By The Associated Press
Published: Friday, Aug. 2, 2013, 8:48 p.m.
WASHINGTON — The United States issued an extraordinary global travel warning to Americans on Friday about the threat of an al-Qaida attack and closed 21 embassies and consulates throughout the Muslim world for the weekend.
The alert was the first of its kind since an announcement preceding the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. This one is issued with the scars still fresh from last year's deadly Sept. 11 attack on a U.S. diplomatic post in Benghazi, Libya, and with the Obama administration and Congress determined to prevent any similar breach of an American embassy or consulate.
“There is a significant threat stream, and we're reacting to it,” said Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He told ABC News in an interview to be aired on Sunday that the threat was “more specific” than previous ones and the “intent is to attack Western, not just U.S. interests.”
The State Department warning urged American travelers to take extra precautions overseas, citing potential dangers involved with public transportation systems and other prime sites for tourists and noting that terrorist attacks have centered on subway and rail networks as well as airplanes and boats. The statement said al-Qaida or its allies might target either U.S. government or private American interests. The alert expires on Aug. 31.
U.S. officials pointed specifically to Yemen, the home of al-Qaida's most dangerous offshoot and the network blamed for several notable terrorist plots on the United States, from the foiled Christmas Day 2009 effort to bomb an airliner over Detroit to the explosives-laden parcels intercepted in the following year aboard cargo flights.
The alert was posted a day after the United States announced it would shut many diplomatic facilities on Sunday. Spokeswoman Marie Harf said the department acted out of an “abundance of caution” and that some missions may stay closed for longer than a day. Sunday is a business day in Muslim countries, and the affected diplomatic offices stretch from Mauritania in northwest Africa to Afghanistan.
“I don't know if I can say there was a specific threat,” said Rep. Eliot Engel of New York, the House Foreign Affairs Committee's top Democrat, who was briefed on the State Department's decision. “There is concern over the potentiality of violence.”
Although the warning coincided with Al-Quds Day, the last Friday of the Islamic month of Ramadan when people in Iran and some Arab countries express their solidarity with the Palestinians and their opposition to Israel, U.S. officials played down any connection. They said the threat was not directed toward a specific American diplomatic facility.
The concern by American officials over the Yemen-based al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula is not new, given the terror branch's gains in territory and reach during Yemen's prolonged Arab Spring-related instability.
The group made significant territorial gains last year, capturing towns and cities in the south amid a power struggle in the capital that ended with the resignation of Yemen's longtime leader, Ali Abdullah Saleh. A U.S.-aided counteroffensive by the government has since pushed the militants back.
Yemen's president, Abdo Rabby Mansour Hadi, met on Thursday with President Obama at the White House, where both leaders cited strong counterterrorism cooperation. Earlier this week, Yemen's military reported a U.S. drone strike killed six alleged al-Qaida militants in the group's southern strongholds.
As recently as June, the group's commander, Qasim al-Rimi, released an Arabic-language video urging attacks on U.S. targets and praising the ethnic Chechen brothers accused of carrying out the Boston Marathon bombings. “Making these bombs has become in everyone's ... reach,” he said, according to the English subtitles on the video, reposted by private U.S. intelligence firm the IntelCenter.
“The blinking red intelligence appears to be pointing toward an al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula plot,” said Seth Jones, counterterrorism expert at Rand Corp., referring to the branch of al-Qaida known as AQAP.
Britain also took action on Friday in Yemen, announcing it would close its embassy there on Sunday and Monday as a precaution.
Britain, which closely coordinates on intelligence matters with Washington, stopped short of releasing a similar region-wide alert but added that some embassy staff in Yemen had been withdrawn “due to security concerns.” British embassies and consulates elsewhere in the Middle East were to remain open. Rep. Ed Royce, R-Calif., the House Foreign Affairs Committee chairman, said the embassy threat was linked to al-Qaida and concerned the Middle East and Central Asia.
“In this instance, we can take a step to better protect our personnel, and out of an abundance of caution, we should,” Royce said.
He declined to say whether the National Security Agency's much-debated surveillance program helped reveal the threat.
The State Department issued another warning a year ago about potential violence connected to the Sept. 11 anniversary. Dozens of American installations were besieged by protests over reports of an anti-Islam video made by an American resident, and in Benghazi, the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans were killed when militants assaulted a diplomatic post.
The Obama administration no longer says Benghazi was related to the demonstrations. But the attack continues to be a flash point of contention with Republicans in Congress.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Marcellus shale driller Noble Energy Inc. sinks roots into Pittsburgh
- ‘Fresher, different, lot more fun’ guide changes at Kings Family Restaurants
- Dick’s Sporting Goods 4Q profit rose 7%
- Profit falls at American Eagle Outfitters on sales decline, charges
- Minorities crucial to filling Marcellus shale gas drilling jobs
- Sbarro again files for bankruptcy reorganization
- Stocks dip on gloomy data from Asia
- 1,500 Bangladesh factories set to be inspected by August
- EBay shareholders urged to reject Icahn picks
- Weather worsens McDonald’s sales struggles
- Regular IRA or Roth? Pick either