Gimme a break: New Android system named Kit Kat
Google, known for nick-naming its Android mobile operating systems for smartphones and tablets for desserts, for the first time has chosen a brand-name candy for its 4.4 version that's expected to introduce in the fall: Kit Kat.
To go along with the promotion, packages of the chocolate candy bar will show Android's green robot mascot breaking a Kit Kat bar.
Financial terms weren't disclosed for the sweet deal between Google and Hershey Co., which makes Kit Kat. The Android 4.4 Kit Kat system is expected to be offered on devices in October.
The software is now running on more than 750 million smartphones and tablets throughout the world, making it the world's most widely used mobile operating system.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- W.V. entrepreneurs offer hope as coal fades as economic engine
- Cyber Monday increasingly a ‘blah-iday’ as deals rolled out earlier, longer
- Demand for surveillance systems boosts sales for Vector Security
- Distractions can help keep riders alert in self-driving cars, study finds
- Pennsylvania Game Commission reaps revenue from shale gas under game lands
- University of Pittsburgh researchers revisit war of electric currents
- IMF adds China’s yuan to basket of top currencies
- As historic breakup nears, Alcoa works to redefine its ‘advantage’
- Fed slashes its emergency power options in crisis
- Covestro leader MacCleary finds stability amid change
- Stocks dip on lower holiday spending fears