Newsmaker: Italo "Ody" Mackin
By Thomas Olson
Published: Tuesday, February 28, 2012
Noteworthy: Received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Airport Corridor Transportation Association
Residence: Bethel Park
Family: Wife, Frances; son, Dean, 58; daughter Marcia, 54; three grandchildren.
Occupation: Chairman of Mackin Engineering Co., which he founded in 1963. The Findlay-based firm provides transportation engineering and consulting services for bridge and highway designs.
Background: A working engineer since 1950, Mackin's career includes stints with the Pennsylvania Railroad in New York and several engineering firms in Pittsburgh. He is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, the American Society of Highway Engineers and the American Council of Engineering Companies and its Pittsburgh chapter.
Education: Bachelor of Science in civil engineering in 1949 from Carnegie Institute of Technology, now Carnegie Mellon University.
Quote: " I guess I decided to keep working because I don't have hobbies of any nature and I don't golf. It's also pretty hard to walk away from a business you started."
- Pens’ Bylsma: Vitale scratch due to faceoff performance
- Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger likes the revamped offense
- Steelers’ Polamalu trim, fit as he arrives for OTAs
- Penguins Insider: Time is right for Jokinen’s return
- Mayoral nominee Peduto plans city hall house-cleaning if he’s elected
- Kovacevic: Pens improve under microscope
- Neal’s solid play soon could pay off on scoresheet for Penguins
- Couple accused of abusing adopted kids moving in with parents
- Coach Tomlin, Steelers facing plenty of questions as OTAs start
- Penguins notebook: Morrow leaves practice with injury
- Officials identify Homewood toddler killed in East Hills shooting
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.