Richly decadent risotto that will make you feel like a star
This simple, but richly decadent risotto studded with thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms and strips of smoked salmon. A generous amount of sparkling wine added throughout the cooking process -- and a generous application of it to the cook -- ensures the experience is Oscar-worthy.
Don't like bubbles• You can always substitute a dry riesling. Don't care for smoked salmon• Substitute small shrimp (and cook for an extra 3 to 5 minutes, or until just pink and firm).
Champagne Shiitake-Salmon Risotto
Start to finish: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 5 ounces shiitake mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups Arborio rice
- 2 1⁄4 cups dry sparkling wine, divided
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth, warmed to a simmer
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 package (4 ounces) smoked salmon, cut into thin strips
In a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and shiitakes, and saute for about 4 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add 1 cup of the wine and cook, stirring constantly, until it is completely absorbed.
Add half of the chicken stock or broth, stir several times, then let the rice simmer until the liquid is nearly completely absorbed. Continue adding stock, 1⁄2 cup at a time and stirring constantly until absorbed between each addition.
When all of the stock has been added and absorbed, add another cup of sparkling wine. Stir until absorbed. The rice should be tender, but still just barely firm at the center. Stir in the cinnamon, salt and pepper. Add the cheese and mix until melted and creamy. Adjust seasonings.
Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the salmon and the remaining 1⁄4 cup of sparkling wine. Serve immediately (with more sparkling wine, of course).
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition information per serving: 670 calories (160 calories from fat), 18 grams fat (9 grams saturated), 45 milligrams cholesterol, 29 grams protein, 76 grams carbohydrates, 5 grams dietary fiber, 1,230 milligrams sodium
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Newest union plans picket outside ACMH Hospital in East Franklin
- Kittanning man the third sentenced in St. Patrick’s Day fatal beating
- West Kittanning still wrestling with whether to fix or replace patrol car
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Penguins need trade-deadline acquisitions to bring toughness
- Speeds restricted as PA Turnpike under weather emergency
- Roundup: AEO promotes two executives to lead brands; Target plans $2b in cost-cutting moves; more
- ‘Time for bold change,’ Wolf says in outlining $30B state budget
- Penguins notebook: Team exercising caution with Ehrhoff’s return from concussion
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 7
- Artist born without arms, legs gives Hampton students peek into her world