Turn leftover turkey into flavorful skillet dinner
This is a great way to serve leftover turkey. It's a one-pot meal -- a hearty casserole with turkey, mushrooms and pasta with a light touch.
The pasta cooks right in the sauce. Serve it in the casserole dish right from the stove.
You also can use cooked turkey from the deli. Look for low-sodium roasted turkey breast, and ask for it to be cut in one thick piece. It will be easier to cut into bite-size pieces.
To complete the meal, toss 4 cups ready-to-eat salad greens with leftover vegetables you have on hand, and add 2 tablespoons reduced-fat vinaigrette.
A rich and hearty California chardonnay is a good wine match.
Turkey Skillet Casserole
- 3⁄4 pound cooked turkey breast, skin removed
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 medium-size cloves garlic, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat, low-sodium pasta sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sliced portobello mushrooms
- 2 ounces whole-wheat noodles, broken into 4- to 5-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat, shredded, sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
Cut the turkey into 1⁄4- to 1⁄2-inch pieces. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray. Add the onion and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes. Add the turkey, pasta sauce, 1 cup water, mushrooms and noodles. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to mix well. Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover with a lid and cook, stirring once or twice, until the pasta is cooked, for about 15 minutes. Add a little more water if the sauce is dry before the pasta is cooked.
Remove from the heat and sprinkle the cheese on top. Spoon sour cream over the cheese.
Makes 2 servings.
Nutrition information per serving: 495 calories, 10 grams fat (4 grams saturated), 123 milligrams cholesterol, 54 grams protein, 48 grams carbohydrates, 7 grams dietary fiber, 357 milligrams sodium.
- Any type of reduced-fat cheese can be used.
- Any type of sliced mushrooms can be used.
- Another whole wheat pasta shape can be used.
- Prepare ingredients.
- Assemble casserole.
- While casserole cooks, make salad.
To buy: 1 carton reduced-fat sour cream; 1 package reduced-fat, shredded, sharp Cheddar cheese; 3⁄4 pound turkey breast; 1 jar or can low-sodium pasta sauce; 1 small package whole wheat linguine; 1 small container sliced portobello mushrooms; 1 bag washed, ready-to-eat green salad.
Staples: Olive oil spray, onion, garlic, reduced-fat vinaigrette dressing, salt and black peppercorns.