Two Mt. Lebanon youth football coaches step down
By Matthew Santoni
Published: Thursday, Sept. 22, 2011
Two Mt. Lebanon youth football coaches have resigned over an incident earlier this month in which they became confrontational with children and were cited for disorderly conduct.
Jeffrey Borris and Michael Ventrone used obscene language and threatened violence after a football practice near Markham Elementary on Sept. 8, according to court records. Witnesses said a child not on the team was struck with a football before throwing the ball into a wooded area.
The coaches then became confrontational and threatening toward the child and adults who tried to intervene, with Ventrone telling the child, "I will choke you out," according to the citation.
Mt. Lebanon Football Association President Chip Dalesandro said the association's board of directors met the next morning and asked the two men to step down. They had been coaches with the organization for four years.
"They're good coaches, they're good guys and they're good with kids, but ... (the board) had to put that stuff aside," Dalesandro said. "They didn't handle things well."
The association is a nonprofit organization fielding teams for youths in first through sixth grades. The two coaches received summonses for two counts each of disorderly conduct, though court records did not yet show a hearing date.
In the city of Pittsburgh, police cracked down on youth football teams by requiring coaches to pass background checks and carry identification following an August 2010 shootout at a game in Homewood. Police sweeps of games in Homewood last weekend resulted in three coaches without credentials being sent home and a gun found in a car.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Orpik: Penguins must keep their cool
- Penguins’ Bylsma wants Cup version of Letang
- Pirates trade for Mets first baseman Davis
- York teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- ‘We Are FR’ fund going strong
- Latrobe woman texts searchers in Linn Run State Park to tell them she’s OK
- RiverQuest short of money, looks for a partner
- Police say Latrobe woman bought gun for boyfriend, who shot neighbor
- Cyrus’ rescheduled U.S. tour now includes Pittsburgh stop in August
- Rossi: Pens sticking to power-play plan
- Retired postal worker picks $1M winner