McVille Airport gets grant to pave runway
Closed since 2007, McVille Airport is one step closer to takeoff.
The airport, which is located between the east side of the Route 28 expressway and the Allegheny River, has received a $650,000 grant from the state to update the airport.
"It's a 75-25 grant," said Tom Kijowski co-owner of the airport. "The state gives us 75 percent of the funding and we pay the other 25 percent."
Kijowski said the money will be used to pave the airport's runway.
When the airport reopens, the runway will be about 3,200 feet long and slightly elevated.
The grant is from PennDOT as part of their aviation development program. The money comes from taxes on jet engine fuel.
McVille received the second largest grant of 18 Pennsylvania airports that shared $4 million the state provided.
Pittsburgh International Airport received the most grant money, receiving $750,000 in funding, according to PennDOT.
The airport was closed in 2007 so strip mining could take place on the property. That mining is complete.
Before its closing, the airport housed more than 60 planes.
Most of the hangars that housed those planes were torn down to complete the strip mining.
The airport also was home to the Armstrong Aviation flight school, which Kijowski also owns and now operates out of Rock Airport in West Deer.
"We hope to get most of those planes back at McVille when we reopen," he said. "It depends on how many hangars we can get reopened."
While the reopening process has started, the airport is still a long way from taking off.
"We keep telling people we'll be open in the fall of 2012, so that's what we're shooting for," Kijowski said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Penguins notebook: Winning home games crucial for Penguins
- Icy roads, bridges trigger minor accidents in Western Pennsylvania
- Heart stent implanted, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg goes home
- Police identify driver in North Side crash that killed pregnant woman
- Penguins GM prepares for emotional series against Carolina
- Nonprofit plans to keep Blairsville WyoTech campus open as part of $24 million purchase
- Pryor’s 22 points lead Robert Morris past Louisiana-Monroe
- Pipeline project could bring thousands of construction jobs to Burrell Township
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Lack of money may crush ISIS
- Four of five Blairsville-Saltsburg schools improve state performance scores