Newsmaker: Jeff Heiger
By Chris Togneri
Published: Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Residence: Valencia in Butler County
Family: Wife, Lauren; sons, James, 28, and Matthew, 27
Occupation: Chief engineer at VA Butler Healthcare
Education: Bachelor's degree in civil engineering, University of Delaware, 1981
Background: A four-year Navy veteran, Heiger has worked for the VA for 26 years. He was appointed VA Butler Healthcare's chief engineer in May 2008.
Noteworthy: Heiger was named the Veterans Health Administration's Chief Engineer of the Year for 2010. Through American Recovery Restoration Act funds, he was able to secure $15.7 million for construction and restoration projects that will offer thousands of local veterans a state-of-the-art health care facility.
Quote: "I feel as if I'm a veteran success story. After two tours in Vietnam, I used the GI Bill to earn my bachelor's degree in civil engineering. For me, to serve our veterans is a privilege. ... The most important lessons I learned in the service were that I was capable of doing more than I thought I could and to never quit."
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Morton, quick start propel Pirates past Reds
- Pirates notebook: Beanballs escalate tension against Reds
- Pitt gets commits from QB, local RB
- Penguins notebook: Pens talking with Dupuis’ reps
- Pirates announce signing of first-round pick McGuire
- Quick Fix: Steamed clams: Summer at the shore
- Reserve woman found shot to death in home
- Ligonier Valley softball team reflects on successful season
- Mt. Pleasant district has superintendent candidate
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.