Newsmaker: Greg Pollock
Residence: Rochester, N.Y., formerly of Wexford
Family: Father, Sanford Pollock; mother, Anne Toland
Occupation: He is a student at Rochester Institute of Technology's National Technical Institute for the Deaf.
Background: Pollock was born deaf. He is a 2007 graduate of North Allegheny High School. He is pursuing a degree in professional technical communications and is NTID's Student Congress president. Pollock hopes to get a job in project management.
Noteworthy: Pollock was recently named a student ambassador at the institute. Only 19 students have been selected as ambassadors since the program was started two years ago. Pollock is featured on the school's Web site, where he explains why he attends the school and gives advice to those considering enrolling there.
Quote: "Only four students get selected to be student ambassadors, and it really is an honor to hold this position. As an ambassador ... I hope to be a supporting figure in other students' lives, and remind them how important it is to remain dedicated to their education."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates enter Plan B with Martin off market
- Machinists ranked No. 1 occupation by Department of Labor
- Woman on dating site looks too good to be true: How to vet that pic
- Knoch graduate a success in male-dominant profession
- For Steelers, a fight to finish for playoff berth
- Connequenessing Valley innovative learning space emphasizes interaction
- High number of rentals a double-edged sword for Butler
- Small retailers at intersection of social networks, foot traffic
- For Pitt men’s basketball team, trouble in paradise
- Springdale Library to pay rent to borough
- Leak of grand jury information could cost Attorney General Kane