Hospital worker likely accidentally overdosed on anesthetic
A night-shift worker at a Washington County hospital died after apparently inhaling an anesthetic drug, officials said yesterday.
Samuel William Parks, 29, of McDonald was found dead in a storage maintenance closet about 10:30 a.m. Sunday at Advanced Surgical Hospital in North Franklin, police Chief Richard Horner said.
Horner said police have ruled out foul play and that the death appears to be an accidental overdose. Police are awaiting toxicology results from the coroner's office.
Police found a bottle of inhalant anesthesia on the floor by the body, Horner said.
Washington County Coroner S. Timothy Warco set the time of death between 3 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Sunday.
Parks did security and housekeeping work at the hospital.
Horner said Parks' mother called a work supervisor after Parks did not return home from work. He was working a 6:30 p.m. to 6:30 a.m. shift, Horner said.
The hospital's chief executive officer, Lloyd Scarrow, said he found Parks' body.
"We would ask that everyone be respectful of the Parks family and respectful of our staff who are in mourning," Scarrow said. "It's a horrible accident, and we're all reeling from it now."
Parks had worked part-time at hospital for approximately a year, Scarrow said. It opened about a year ago, has about 100 employees and is owned by private investors.
Doctors perform mostly outpatient surgeries, including orthopedic and plastic surgeries, though the hospital can accept inpatients if necessary, Scarrow said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Sports camps added at East Franklin’s Belmont Complex
- McKeesport mayor believes city’s ceremony reflects Memorial Day’s true meaning
- Memorial Day marked with several events in Kittanning
- Cops: Man shoots 11-year-old with BB gun in McKeesport; boy critical
- Accident at West Virginia’s Cheat Lake sends boaters to hospital
- LaRosa Boys & Girls Club of McKeesport remembers war dead
- Foes of South Huntingdon gas-fired plant fight approval
- Pirates pitcher Morton turns in solid performance in win over Marlins
- ‘Rock-a-thon Queen’ keeps on rockin’ for Vincentian fundraiser
- Westmoreland Veterans’ Monument unveiled, rededicated in Greensburg
- Tesla home battery at $7K, partnered with rooftop solar system, may help reduce power bills