1 suspect eludes police on South Side, another faces drug charges
By Adam Wagner
Published: Friday, June 22, 2012, 12:56 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, June 27, 2012
Pittsburgh police did not catch a suspect who they say shot at them during a pursuit early Friday morning on the South Side but arrested another man on charges of possessing heroin.
The incident began at 2:26 a.m. in the 100 block of McKean Street when officers on patrol saw a man in dark clothing put a gun in his waistband. The man ran after seeing the officers, and the pursuit ended when the officers heard three gunshots and lost sight of the suspect on East Carson Street.
During the chase, officers saw another man in the area standing behind a parked car, according to police. After they lost sight of the man they were pursuing, they returned to the car to determine whether there was another gunman. Police checked the vehicle's glove compartment for registration information and found plastic bags filled with what is believed to be heroin, police said.
Rashaud Lewis, 18, of Pittsburgh, told investigators he owns the car. Police took Lewis into custody and charged him with intent to deliver a controlled substance, possession of controlled substance and criminal conspiracy.
While searching for the first man, officers found a gun in the 100 block of East Carson Street and another in the weeds on South 2nd Street, police said.
Adam Wagner is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7956 or email@example.com.
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Munhall manager resigns
- Munhall police update abandoned-homes list
- Pirates notebook: Beanballs escalate tension against Reds
- Morton, quick start propel Pirates past Reds
- Pitt gets commits from QB, local RB
- Penguins notebook: Pens talking with Dupuis’ reps
- Reserve woman found shot to death in home
- Police find burglary suspect’s cellphone at crime scene
- West Mifflin council tables plan to regulate borough resale shops
- Pirates announce signing of first-round pick McGuire
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.