Police: Men rob Shadyside apartments, say, ‘Where’s the money, where’s the weed?’
By Margaret Harding
Published: Wednesday, September 26, 2012, 9:36 a.m.
Updated: Wednesday, December 19, 2012
An armed trio robbed the tenants of two apartments in Shadyside early Wednesday, Pittsburgh police said.
The men knocked on the door to a second-floor apartment in the 6100 block of Walnut Street about 2 a.m. and one claimed to be a boyfriend from downstairs who needed his key, police said.
When one of the four tenants inside opened the door, one of the men outside hit him in the head with a pistol and knocked him to the ground, police said. He struck the tenant several more times and demanded money and drugs. One of the robbers told the tenants they “ripped off” his brother for some drugs, police said.
The three robbers took iPhones, computers and other electronics worth more than $12,700, police said.
A newlywed couple on the first floor heard the commotion, and the woman walked upstairs to tell the men to keep it down, police said.
The suspects chased her downstairs and forced their way into her apartment, stealing an iPhone, wedding bands, $350, car keys and an engagement ring worth $8,500, police said. Police estimate those stolen goods are worth more than $11,000. The three fled in an unknown direction.
One of the upstairs victims described one of the suspects as a white man, 20 to 25 years old with a silver pistol, dark hoodie and a bandana over his mouth and nose.
The female victim said one suspect was a black man between 20 and 25 years old, about 5 feet 11 inches and 180 pounds with short black hair, clean shaven, dark eyes and a light complexion, wearing black, baggy jeans with a belt, tennis shoes and a long-sleeved dark green shirt. Another suspect was a white man, about 6 feet 2 inches tall with a thin build, about 180 pounds wearing a dark hoodie with a ski mask covering his face, she told police.
Robbery detectives are investigating, and no arrests have been made. Anyone with information is asked to call detectives at 412-323-7151.
Margaret Harding is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-380-8519 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Penguins notebook: Tickets for Eastern Conference final on sale today
- Kovacevic: Matt Cooke 1, Ottawa Senators 0
- Letang dazzles with dynamic play in Game 5 win
- Penguins rout Senators, return to Eastern Conference final
- Alfredsson ponders his future
- Smoking in school costs New Florence man more than a fine
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- Rankin teen charged in 16-year-old girl’s shooting death
- Bank sues to stop Jeannette’s $235,000 payment in court case
- Friend of man accused in soldier's death arrested at BBC after interview
- Pirates notebook: Bucs shut down injured Karstens
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.