Fire hits 2 homes in Latrobe on Saturday
Fires strike 2 homes on same street
Fires broke out in two Latrobe homes on the same street slightly more than an hour apart Saturday.
At 10:54 a.m., a chimney fire ignited in the single-family home at 39 E. First Ave., according to Bob Heintzelman, Latrobe Fire Department assistant chief from Company 6, who was in charge at the scene.
At 12:08 p.m., a kitchen fire broke out at 32 E. First Ave., less than 200 feet away, he said.
No one was injured in either blaze, Heintzelman said.
“It's not too often we get two fires that close together,” he said. “Everybody did a great job. The engines were almost all in place” for the second fire.
The first fire started when a build up of creosote ignited in the chimney when the family lit their fireplace. The fire was contained to the chimney and there was minimal damage, he said.
The second fire, in the kitchen of half of a duplex, destroyed the kitchen and caused some smoke damage to the home's first floor, Heintzelman said. The fire did not spread to the other side of the duplex, but firefighters opened that home to clear some smoke out, he said.
The Red Cross was assisting the tenant whose kitchen burned. Both scenes were cleared by 2:30 p.m.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Jerome Bettis to be enshrined in hall of fame
- Tennessee quarterback Peterman considers transfer to Pitt
- Suggestions are aplenty on what Penguins need to break through
- Starkey: Pitt needs this version of James Robinson
- Gulls fleeing frozen Great Lakes fill skies over Pittsburgh’s Point
- Westmoreland museum spotlights artist John Kane’s late-in-life fame
- Familiar Downtown Pittsburgh presence lost arm, leg to train
- Penguins minor league notebook: Rookie Wilson emerges as 3rd-line NHL prospect
- Pitt upsets No. 8 Notre Dame to snap losing streak
- Snow, freezing rain, bitter cold coming to Western Pa.
- Westmoreland Museum makeover draws raves