Hunter found dead in Armstrong County
By Mitch Fryer
Published: Thursday, October 4, 2012, 12:52 p.m.
Updated: Saturday, October 6, 2012
MADISON — A man who was found dead in a wooded area of Armstrong County on Thursday morning fell from a tree stand while bow hunting.
The accident happened on private property off Poseytown Road near Mahoning Road in Madison north of Templeton sometime overnight, according to state police.
It's believed the victim was discovered in the morning by a friend who went to look for him. He was found at the bottom of a 19-foot-high tree stand.
Armstrong County Deputy Coroner Brian Myers identified the victim as 52-year-old Daniel T. Egan of 1306 Grandview Ave., North Braddock, Allegheny County.
Egan regularly hunted in the area with a friend who lives nearby, according to Myers.
Fell from stand
Egan was hunting alone when he fell from the stand, Myers said.
Myers said the coroner's office examined the body for injuries, including for broken bones.
He said that after examining the victim for the cause of death, it was determined an autopsy would be performed to find out if he had a medical condition that contributed to his death or if he succumbed to injuries from the fall.
Foul play has been ruled out, he said.
Blunt force trauma
The coroner ruled the cause of death to be blunt force trauma to the thorax and abdomen.
The manner of death was ruled as accidental.
Egan was pronounced dead at the scene.
State police in East Franklin troopers investigated the accident.
Police were assisted at the scene by the state Game Commission, Clarion Hospital Ambulance Service and Distant and Pine-Templeton fire departments.
Mitch Fryer is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-543-1303 or email@example.com.
- Penguins far from satisfied after Game 2
- Kovacevic: The smartest man in hockey
- Penguins notebook: Malkin makes points run
- Craftsman’s skill, nature ensured loyal following
- Jamie’s Dream Team helps young mother see her children attend prom
- Accrued sick time weighs on city budget
- Allmendinger gets new lease on life, career
- Pair denied contact once baby born
- Ex-Steelers QB Batch learns new form of 2-minute drill
- Motorcyclist dies after crash in Latrobe
- Write-ins necessary in some borough council elections
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.