Puerto Rican boxer Orlando Cruz announces he's gay
Published: Thursday, October 4, 2012, 2:15 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, October 10, 2012
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- Puerto Rican featherweight Orlando Cruz has announced he is gay, making him what is believed to be the first openly homosexual pro boxer.
Cruz tells The Associated Press he is relieved about his decision and had initial reservations about coming out in what he calls a "macho" sport. The announcement comes two weeks before Cruz challenges Mexico's Jorge Pazos for the WBO Latino title.
Cruz is ranked as the WBO's No. 4 featherweight. He is 18-2-1 with nine knockouts.
He says in an interview Thursday that he met with psychologists before making his announcement and adds he has the full support of his family, trainer and manager.
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Penguins notebook: Pens talking with Dupuis’ reps
- Pirates notebook: Beanballs escalate tension against Reds
- Pitt gets commits from QB, local RB
- Morton, quick start propel Pirates past Reds
- Bethel Park offensive lineman Grimm picks Pitt
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- Pirates announce signing of first-round pick McGuire
- Plan for Greensburg loft apartments receives approval
- Morsy scorned for appointment of ‘terrorist’
- Highmark to extend self-insurance plans to small businesses
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.