Steelers notebook: Scoring change gives Roethlisberger another TD
By Alan Robinson
Published: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 1:28 p.m.
Updated: Monday, October 15, 2012
• Ben Roethlisberger has one more touchdown pass, and Rashard Mendenhall has 13 fewer rushing yards. An official scoring change Thursday made Mendenhall's 13-yard touchdown run Sunday against the Eagles a 13-yard touchdown pass. The play initially was ruled a pass, only to be changed to a run after a review appeared to show Roethlisberger threw a lateral. The NFL changed the play back to a pass upon reviewing game video. The change left Mendenhall with 13 carries for 68 yards in his first game since last season. Roethlisberger's numbers now are 22 of 38 for 220 yards and a touchdown. On Sunday, Roethlisberger joked Pittsburgh always has a run-first mentality, even when it comes to statistics.
• As Roethlisberger closes in on Terry Bradshaw's team career passing record, he is trying to keep his head about him: Roethlisberger said some teams try to take out the opposing quarterback. “I think it happens,” he told Tennessee reporters. To him? “A number of times,” he said. He did not specify opponents but said the Eagles last weekend weren't one of them. However, he said he saw Eagles players targeting center Maurkice Pouncey, saying, “Some of their guys jumped on Pouncey's back and tried to spike him in the back. But I don't think anyone intentionally tried to come after my head.”
• Titans coach Mike Munchak is a former Penn State star who takes pride in how the heavily sanctioned program has bounced back from losses to Ohio and Virginia to win four in a row. “People just assumed it would get worse,” Munchak said. “We've done a great job the last four weeks of showing what we're all about at Penn State.”
— Alan Robinson
- Steelers might be looking at a youth movement in 2013
- Penguins’ Dupuis earns teammates’ respect with consistent play
- Kovacevic: Do Senators have anything left?
- Rossi: Late-game moves pay off
- Sewickley man dies in overnight motorcycle accident
- Penguins notebook: Spezza will return for Senators in Game 3
- Local ‘drummer boys’ plan march from Pittsburgh to Gettysburg
- Militaries’ growing use of ground robots raises ethics concerns
- Hempfield man gets 5 to 10 years in prison for firing at troopers in what lawyer called an ‘anomaly’
- Monessen revival boils down to money that could be difficult to secure
- Alleged Washington County carjacker arrest at airport
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.