Police: Oil City boy, 13, killed grandparents over insult about his mother
By The Associated Press
Published: Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 9:10 a.m.
Updated: Wednesday, February 6, 2013
PITTSBURGH — State police say a 13-year-old told them he fatally shot his grandparents in their Pennsylvania home because he was upset that they called his mother a whore.
Troopers from the Franklin barracks announced the charges Tuesday against Zachary James Proper, of Oil City, but provided few details.
The Derrick in Oil City first reported the charges, which state police confirmed in a short news release.
A criminal complaint charges that Proper shot his grandmother, Dorothy Fross, and step-grandfather, George Fross, at their home in Sandycreek Township about 4 p.m. Sunday.
Calls to the boy's parents and a defense attorney listed in court papers were not immediately returned.
The boy has been arraigned and ordered held without bond, which is standard in homicide cases in Pennsylvania.
- NHL commissioner Bettman talks Crosby, Olympics, outdoor games
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- Starkey: Pens’ offense blazing historic path
- Golden opportunity awaits
- Senators' Alfredsson clarifies comments made after Game 4
- Steelers notebook: Gilbert hopes to stay on left side of O-line
- Whitehall couple sues Pittsburgh zoo over son’s mauling by painted dogs
- Ambridge, North Allegheny defend WPIAL volleyball championships
- Penguins notebook: Bylsma likes response to adversity
- ‘Swiss Miss’ de Silvestro returns to Brickyard track
- Seton-La Salle, Mt. Lebanon win WPIAL boys lacrosse titles
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.