Rihanna, Minaj lead American Music Awards nominees
LOS ANGELES -- Rihanna and Nicki Minaj are the leading nominees at the 40th annual American Music Awards with four nods each.
Christina Aguilera announced the nominations Tuesday in Los Angeles. She also said she plans to perform at the ceremony next month.
Drake, Justin Bieber, Maroon 5, One Direction and Usher earned three bids apiece. Carrie Underwood, Chris Brown, fun., Gotye, J. Cole, Katy Perry, Kelly Clarkson, Luke Bryan, and Pitbull are each double nominees.
Drake, Bieber, Maroon 5, Katy Perry and Rihanna are also in the running for artist of the year.
Nominees are selected based on broadcast airplay and online popularity. Fans can vote online for their favorites in all 20 categories.
The American Music Awards will be presented Nov. 18 at Nokia Theatre and broadcast live on ABC.
The complete list of nominees:
- Artist of the year: Justin Bieber, Drake, Maroon 5, Katy Perry, Rihanna.
- New artist of the year: J. Cole, fun., Gotye, Carly Rae Jepsen, One Direction.
- Male artist, pop/rock: Justin Bieber, Flo Rida, Pitbull, Usher.
- Female artist, pop/rock: Kelly Clarkson, Nicki Minaj, Katy Perry, Rihanna.
- Band, duo or group, pop/rock: fun., Maroon 5, One Direction, The Wanted.
- Album, pop/rock: Justin Bieber, "Believe"; Maroon 5, "Overexposed"; Nicki Minaj, "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded"; One Direction, "Up All Night."
- Male artist, country: Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Eric Church.
- Female artist, country: Miranda Lambert, Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood.
- Band, duo or group, country: Zac Brown Band, Lady Antebellum, Rascal Flatts.
- Album, country: Luke Bryan, "Tailgates & Tanlines"; Lionel Richie, "Tuskegee"; Carrie Underwood, "Blown Away."
- Artist, rap/hip-hop: Drake, Nicki Minaj, Tyga.
- Album, rap/hip-hop: J. Cole, "Cole World: The Sideline Story"; Drake, "Take Care"; Nicki Minaj, "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded."
- Male artist, soul/R&B: Chris Brown, Trey Songz, Usher.
- Female artist, soul/R&B: Beyoncé, Mary J. Blige,,Rihanna.
- Album, soul/R&B: Chris Brown, "Fortune"; Rihanna, "Talk That Talk"; Usher, "Looking 4 Myself."
- Artist, alternative rock: The Black Keys, Gotye, Linkin Park.
- Artist, adult contemporary: Adele, Kelly Clarkson, Train.
- Artist, Latin: Don Omar, Pitbull, Shakira.
- Artist, contemporary inspirational: Jeremy Camp, Newsboys, tobyMac.
- Artist, electronic dance music: David Guetta, Calvin Harris, Skrillex.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Real estate union: Howard Hanna buys Langholz Wilson Ellis
- Undersized Beachum quietly excels at 1 of game’s pivotal positions
- Connellsville wrestling tunes up for duals by routing TJ
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu, Taylor unlikely to play, Harrison ‘ready’
- Position move fits Pitt sophomore Artis
- 5 plead guilty to charges of luring, beating man at Harrison gas station
- Pitt’s acting athletic director is deft facilitator
- Michigan State defensive coordinator a Pitt coaching candidate
- Convocation center booze battle rages on for California and Cal U
- Teachers at two Armstrong schools go casual for a cause
- Asked about Cuban cigars’ availability, retailers point to trade embargo