Rihanna, Minaj lead American Music Awards nominees
By The Associated Press
Published: Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 1:29 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, October 9, 2012
LOS ANGELES -- Rihanna and Nicki Minaj are the leading nominees at the 40th annual American Music Awards with four nods each.
Christina Aguilera announced the nominations Tuesday in Los Angeles. She also said she plans to perform at the ceremony next month.
Drake, Justin Bieber, Maroon 5, One Direction and Usher earned three bids apiece. Carrie Underwood, Chris Brown, fun., Gotye, J. Cole, Katy Perry, Kelly Clarkson, Luke Bryan, and Pitbull are each double nominees.
Drake, Bieber, Maroon 5, Katy Perry and Rihanna are also in the running for artist of the year.
Nominees are selected based on broadcast airplay and online popularity. Fans can vote online for their favorites in all 20 categories.
The American Music Awards will be presented Nov. 18 at Nokia Theatre and broadcast live on ABC.
The complete list of nominees:
- Artist of the year: Justin Bieber, Drake, Maroon 5, Katy Perry, Rihanna.
- New artist of the year: J. Cole, fun., Gotye, Carly Rae Jepsen, One Direction.
- Male artist, pop/rock: Justin Bieber, Flo Rida, Pitbull, Usher.
- Female artist, pop/rock: Kelly Clarkson, Nicki Minaj, Katy Perry, Rihanna.
- Band, duo or group, pop/rock: fun., Maroon 5, One Direction, The Wanted.
- Album, pop/rock: Justin Bieber, "Believe"; Maroon 5, "Overexposed"; Nicki Minaj, "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded"; One Direction, "Up All Night."
- Male artist, country: Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Eric Church.
- Female artist, country: Miranda Lambert, Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood.
- Band, duo or group, country: Zac Brown Band, Lady Antebellum, Rascal Flatts.
- Album, country: Luke Bryan, "Tailgates & Tanlines"; Lionel Richie, "Tuskegee"; Carrie Underwood, "Blown Away."
- Artist, rap/hip-hop: Drake, Nicki Minaj, Tyga.
- Album, rap/hip-hop: J. Cole, "Cole World: The Sideline Story"; Drake, "Take Care"; Nicki Minaj, "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded."
- Male artist, soul/R&B: Chris Brown, Trey Songz, Usher.
- Female artist, soul/R&B: Beyoncé, Mary J. Blige,,Rihanna.
- Album, soul/R&B: Chris Brown, "Fortune"; Rihanna, "Talk That Talk"; Usher, "Looking 4 Myself."
- Artist, alternative rock: The Black Keys, Gotye, Linkin Park.
- Artist, adult contemporary: Adele, Kelly Clarkson, Train.
- Artist, Latin: Don Omar, Pitbull, Shakira.
- Artist, contemporary inspirational: Jeremy Camp, Newsboys, tobyMac.
- Artist, electronic dance music: David Guetta, Calvin Harris, Skrillex.
- Neal’s solid play soon could pay off on scoresheet for Penguins
- Kovacevic: Pens improve under microscope
- ‘We did it!’ Peduto tells city, as he defeats Wagner
- Penguins Insider: Time is right for Jokinen’s return
- Senators get vote of confidence
- Steelers’ Polamalu trim, fit as he arrives for OTAs
- Rupert wins Democratic nod to run for sheriff
- Smeltzer loses seat on ASD board
- Lincoln takes primary
- 25 percent of voters go to polls
- Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger likes the revamped offense
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.