Man in SUV flees from police, abandons vehicle in Mt. Pleasant
By Chuck Brittain
Published: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Monday, October 15, 2012
State police in Westmoreland County Tuesday pursued a sport utility vehicle that may have been stolen and later ditched in East Huntingdon by a man seen on a surveillance video carrying a young child.
Police said a man in a red Ford Expedition was driving at a high rate of speed on Route 119 — at times going the wrong way — and crossed over several median ravines on the highway before he abandoned the vehicle in a driveway adjacent to the Grace Veterinary Clinic just outside of Mt. Pleasant.
Police said the man drove erratically before leaving the vehicle and fleeing on foot. The video surveillance provided to police by Dr. John O'Laughlin of Grace shows the suspect walking calmly from the scene with a young child in tow.
Police did not, however, release information as to why they were chasing the suspect in the first place.
Justin Himes, who lives next to the clinic, said police searched his house for the suspect moments after the chase.
“They (police) told me the (suspect) was driving the wrong way on Route 119,” Himes said. “They said the vehicle had been stolen.”
Himes said police told him the suspect was a black man who was driving the SUV, which had chrome wheels. Himes said police told him the child was 2 years old, but police did not explain the relationship of the child and the suspect.
Police did not release additional information Tuesday night.
- Steelers rookie moves on after PSU scandal
- Pittsburgh police arrest bicyclist after chase through the South Side
- Kovacevic: It doesn’t have to be this hard
- Steelers might be looking at a youth movement in 2013
- Penguins blow late lead, fall to Senators in 2OT
- Mt. Washington’s Grandview Avenue isn’t looking so great these days
- I-70 to reopen after crash in Westmoreland
- Facial recognition technology moving toward identifying almost anyone
- Police: Man escapes car hit by train in East Deer
- Photos: Sewickley Unleashed not just for the dogs
- Former Charleroi pastor indicted on child pornography charge
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.