Developer, Unity Township to square off over Mountain View Inn property
By Joe Napsha
Published: Saturday, October 13, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Saturday, October 13, 2012
Unity Township and the Pittsburgh-based developer that owns the former Mountain View Inn property will face off in Commonwealth Court in November over the township's requirements that road improvements be made before a small strip mall can be built on the site.
Commonwealth Court has scheduled a hearing for Nov. 17 on Jada View LLC's appeal of Westmoreland County Judge Richard E. McCormick Jr.'s September 2011 ruling that the board of supervisors did not abuse its discretion in requiring the developer to build access roads from Frye Farm Road and Village Drive to two of the six lots it owns at the site.
However, McCormick did agree in his ruling that the township abused its discretion in a May 2011 decision that would have required Jada View to construct a turning lane from Route 30 and traffic signal improvements at the intersection of Route 30, Village Drive and Marguerite Road.
Township solicitor Gary Falatovich said that Jada View, which is based in Upper St. Clair, wanted the township to pay for road improvements for a shopping plaza on the former Mountain View Inn site and a building in a parking lot across Village Drive.
Supervisor Mike O'Barto said the township would not pay for the private firm's economic development.
Officials estimate that the shopping development would add between 2,500 and 3,000 vehicle trips to the plaza.
Falatovich said that attempts to find state money for the road improvements fell victim to budget slashing.
He said the township will see if the developer would remove the large pile of dirt at Village Drive and Frye Farm Road.
James and Daniel Snyder acquired the Mountain View Inn property in August 2009 when it closed in January as part of a foreclosure by First Commonwealth Bank of Indiana. The Snyders tore down the historic inn.
Joe Napsha is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-836-5252 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ribbon, wristband solemn reminders for Penguins coach Bylsma
- Key acquisitions have Penguins primed for run to Stanley Cup
- Penguins GM Shero: ‘Whole idea’ was improvement during playoffs
- Robinson: Steelers rookie Wheaton could be impact receiver
- Veteran Clark envisions finishing career as a member of Steelers
- Penguins to face Bruins in Eastern Conference final
- Starkey: Pirates’ Huntington never looked so good
- Pirates notebook: Cutter a boon for Melancon
- Parenting in a Nutshell: Choose child care wisely
- Rankin teen charged in 16-year-old girl’s shooting death
- Veteran CEOs find success in comeback role
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.