Gas leak closes 16th Street Bridge
By Tom Fontaine
Published: Friday, October 12, 2012, 6:42 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, February 6, 2013
The 16th Street Bridge was closed on Friday night so crews could repair a natural gas leak along Smallman Street in the Strip District caused when a contractor struck a line.
The leak appeared to be coming from a main line along Smallman, said Scott Waitlevertch, a spokesman for Equitable Gas Co., adding that no customers were adversely affected.
Officials said work was expected to be completed by morning.
The 16th Street Bridge spans the Allegheny River to the North Side and carries about 15,000 vehicles a day, according to PennDOT data.
- Kovacevic: The smartest man in hockey
- Penguins far from satisfied after Game 2
- Behind Crosby’s hat trick, Penguins sneak past Senators
- Penguins notebook: Malkin makes points run
- Error in 9th allows Pirates to rally past Astros
- Ex-Steelers QB Batch learns new form of 2-minute drill
- Motorcyclist dies after crash in Latrobe
- Pirates notebook: NL Central not so soft after all
- Senators notebook: Penguins’ Bylsma backs MacLean for Adams Award
- Just hold on, 911 officials say of busy signals, but frustrated callers want explanation
- Pair denied contact once baby born
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.