Newsmaker: Épryl King
By Bill Zlatos
Published: Saturday, October 27, 2012, 6:42 p.m.
Updated: Saturday, October 27, 2012
Noteworthy: King won a Racial Justice Award in education from the YWCA of Greater Pittsburgh. Others who will get the awards on Nov. 11 are Tim Stevens, CEO of the Black Political Empowerment Project; Chauncey W. Smith, a management and diversity consultant; the Rev. Moni McIntyre of Church of the Holy Cross; Paula K. Davis, assistant vice chancellor for diversity at the University of Pittsburgh; David A. Harris, a law professor at Pitt; Alexis Werner of Shaler Area High School; and Michael Sutton, a student at Duke University.
Family: Husband, Terence; daughter, Aiyanna Crawford, 14
Occupation: Second-grade teacher at Evergreen Elementary School in Gateway School District and president of Raising Achievement in Monroeville and Pitcairn Inc.
Background: She has taught for nine years at Evergreen and one year at the former Pitcairn Elementary School.
Education: Bachelor's degree in elementary education from Indiana University of Pennsylvania; master's in curriculum and instruction from Gannon University; working toward doctorate in curriculum and instruction at IUP.
Quote: “Advocating for minorities is just one of our focus areas. One is advocating for students from low-income backgrounds, and the other is students who have special needs.”
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Pirates notebook: Beanballs escalate tension against Reds
- Penguins notebook: Pens talking with Dupuis’ reps
- Pitt gets commits from QB, local RB
- Morsy scorned for appointment of ‘terrorist’
- Morton, quick start propel Pirates past Reds
- Bethel Park offensive lineman Grimm picks Pitt
- Plan for Greensburg loft apartments receives approval
- Pirates announce signing of first-round pick McGuire
- Police find burglary suspect’s cellphone at Brackenridge crime scene
- Southwest Regional Police vice squad sets up prostitution sting
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.