New federal court program in Western Pennsylvania aids convicted veterans
By Brian Bowling
Published: Thursday, November 1, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Thursday, November 1, 2012
A new court-managed program in Western Pennsylvania will help veterans convicted of federal crimes upon their release from prison, the U.S. Attorney's Office said.
The program differs from veterans courts in Allegheny and Butler counties that allow veterans with mental health or substance abuse problems to get treatment instead of prison time. This one will help them with housing, job training, transportation and treatment for substance abuse and mental health problems.
Volunteer veteran mentors will provide emotional, psychological and social support. A judge must approve entry into the program, which will be operational by Nov. 11, which is Veterans Day, said U.S. Attorney David Hickton.
In addition to judges and prosecutors, the U.S. Probation Office, Public Defender's Office and Veterans Administration are participating.
Hickton said the plan is to add a pretrial diversion component when the court and agencies identify crimes related to a veteran's problems with reintegrating into civilian society after a deployment. The program then would allow veterans to avoid convictions on such crimes and get treatment instead, he said.
Brian Bowling is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-325-4301 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Steelers rookie moves on after PSU scandal
- Kovacevic: It doesn’t have to be this hard
- Steelers might be looking at a youth movement in 2013
- Government says it recorded Ohio jail conversation because of Redbank man’s threats to witness, not his Muslim beliefs
- Penguins blow late lead, fall to Senators in 2OT
- Mt. Washington’s Grandview Avenue isn’t looking so great these days
- Former Charleroi pastor indicted on child pornography charge
- I-70 to reopen after crash in Westmoreland
- Goalie Anderson stands tall in Senators’ victory over Penguins
- Police: Man escapes car hit by train in East Deer
- Motorcyclist dies after crash in Latrobe
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.