Maher gets endorsement of former auditor general
By Brad Bumsted
Published: Saturday, November 3, 2012, 12:56 p.m.
Updated: Saturday, November 3, 2012
HARRISBURG — Democrat Barbara Hafer, the former state auditor general, on Saturday endorsed Rep. John Maher, the Republican candidate for auditor general in Tuesday's election.
A Trib poll this week showed Maher, of Upper St. Clair, in a dead heat with Democratic Rep. Eugene DePasquale, of York.
Endorsements are routine this time of year but Hafer's is unusual because she's the former fiscal watchdog and she says she is supporting the rest of the Democratic ticket.
“John Maher will be a great auditor general,” said Hafer, of Indiana, Pa., formerly of Elizabeth Borough, who was elected to statewide office as a Republican.
Hafer became a Democratic after supporting former Democratic Gov. Ed Rendell. She was the GOP nominee for governor in 1990 but lost to the late Democratic Gov. Robert P. Casey, the incumbent.
Hafer said she and Maher shared important character traits. “Like me, he is independent-minded and tough enough to back it up.
“I served as Auditor General. I know the job. And I know John Maher.”
Auditor General Jack Wagner, a Democrat from Beechview, has endorsed DePasquale.
Brad Bumsted is the state Capitol reporter for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 717-787-1405 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kovacevic: Matt Cooke 1, Ottawa Senators 0
- Pitt awaits NCAA Tournament fate after loss to Notre Dame in Big East baseball
- Saturday morning low temp tied record set in 1925
- Letang dazzles with dynamic play in Game 5 win
- Alfredsson ponders his future
- Penguins rout Senators, return to Eastern Conference final
- Pipeline project creates unease in Westmoreland County
- Rankin teen charged in 16-year-old girl’s shooting death
- Pirates notebook: Bucs shut down injured Karstens
- Marine restores pride of Memorial Day parade on streets of Lawrenceville
- PIAA board delays vote on Leechburg switch
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.