Detoured Parkway East traffic moves slowly
By Jeremy Boren
Published: Saturday, November 3, 2012, 3:38 p.m.
Updated: Saturday, November 3, 2012
Traffic detoured from the Parkway East on Satuday afternoon crawled toward along South Braddock Avenue in the city's East End, along a route created by the closure of the inbound side of the Squirrel Hill Tunnels.
The closure and detour via the Edgewood-Swissvale exit of the Parkway East to South Braddock Avenue continues until 5 a.m. Monday.
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation at 9 p.m. Friday closed the westbound side of the tunnels for the fifth time this year as part of a $49.5 million renovation of the tunnels. The project includes raising ceilings and improving lighting. The 4,225-foot-long tunnels opened in 1953. There are no restrictions outbound, where traffic moved smoothly.
For more information about detours and traffic conditions visit PennDOT's website via http://bit.ly/LIbhRR and select the “Squirrel Hill Tunnel Rehabilitation Project” link on the right.
Jeremy Boren is a reporter for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7935 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pirates notebook: Penguins jerseys in fashion for road trip
- Penguins notebook: Morrow leaves practice with injury
- Steelers notebook: Less talk, more work is Tomlin’s theme
- Coach Tomlin, Steelers facing plenty of questions as OTAs start
- Turnout light across Western Pa. as voters hit polls
- Kovacevic: Why did Pens even get Iginla?
- Senators notebook: Pens' Crosby has defensive shadows
- Bin Laden photos to remain classified
- Immigration bill clears Senate panel
- Steelers rookie moves on after PSU scandal
- Retired UPMC surgeon sues surgical device maker over patents
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.