Wanted: Benghazi facts
It's now clear that the events surrounding the lethal Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, qualifies as a defining moment for the president, his administration and this election.
The most recent developments center on the assault itself. Recently, Reuters reported that diplomatic officers sent emails during the Benghazi attack and that officials at the White House, the State Department, the Pentagon, intelligence agencies and the FBI were advised within two hours of the attack that an Islamic militant group, Ansar al-Sharia, had claimed credit for it.
This comes in the aftermath of the discovery that the CIA station chief in Libya told the State Department in a cable 24 hours after the attack that the evidence showed it was, in fact, a terrorist attack.
A second bombshell revelation comes to us courtesy of Jennifer Griffin of Fox News, who reports that she was told from sources on the ground that a small team housed at a CIA annex about a mile from the U.S. Consulate were twice told to “stand down” rather than help those under attack.
But former Navy SEAL Tyrone Woods and at least two others disobeyed orders and went to the aid of U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and his team. While Stevens and an aide were killed, others were saved by this extraordinary act of bravery.
Returning to the CIA annex, Woods and his colleagues were repeatedly denied armed backup and aerial support to defend them against attackers firing mortars at the annex. Woods and another former Navy SEAL, Glen Doherty, were killed during the four-hour battle. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta confirmed that backup was not sent, justifying that decision by saying we didn't have enough “real-time information” about what was taking place.
But we now know that two military surveillance drones had been redirected to Benghazi shortly after the attack began and both were capable of sending real-time visuals back to officials in Washington, D.C.
Panetta's statement reveals a complete breakdown in decision-making at the presidential level. President Obama has said that he issued a directive immediately upon hearing of the attacks to “make sure that we are securing our personnel and doing whatever we need to.”
But a refusal to grant military assistance to the CIA officers on the ground means that either the president's directive was ignored or the president did not, in fact, issue this directive immediately. Either scenario is unacceptable.
In addition, the Obama administration continued to insist that the lethal assault on the consulate was a spontaneous, unplanned mob attack that was the result of an anti-Islamic video long after we had received information indicating that the assault was preplanned, organized and carried out by terrorists and the video had nothing to do with the attack.
Based on what we know, the president and his administration failed in their elementary duty to protect American officials overseas, attempted to avoid responsibility for their failures, intentionally downplayed an ongoing global threat and forfeited the trust of the public on this vital issue.
Americans need a complete and candid accounting, and only the president can provide it.
Tom Ridge, the first director of Homeland Security, is the former governor of Pennsylvania.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- LaBar: WWE not backing down from controversy
- Rossi: In Super city, everything but football matters
- Underclassmen standouts help Sewickley Academy
- Three injured in two-vehicle accident on Arona Road in Hempfield
- Beloved North Side gardener gets new truck, paid for by her neighbors
- Judge orders nonprofit tax form release in case against IRS
- Trib Cup: Baldwin girls basketball team stands by motto
- Overhaul of military benefit programs sought
- Rostraver Democrat aims for 1 of 3 open spots on Westmoreland County bench
- Highmark members to keep maternity care at UPMC’s Magee in 2015
- Stat dropoff, road struggles have Penguins seeking consistency