Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre's magical Pointe in Time evening
Much could be said for the Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre's outstanding efforts to usher close to 400 guests into a new era of swoon-worthy black-tie balls.
Pointe in Time: A Parisian Cabaret left no one wanting as the ballroom of the Westin underwent a turn-of-the-century transformation with costumed dancers and mixologist Steven Kowalczuk's absinthe bar paving the way for the Moulin Rouge tribute to take shape.
Chalk it up to a warm reception of the theme or perhaps a little je ne sais quoi, but what unfolded as the glitterati filtered into the space could be described as nothing less than a whiplash-inducing parade of pretty full-length gowns in every color of the rainbow with Peggy McKnight, Vivian Benter and Jennifer McDowell in brilliant red, Melanie Crockard in shimmering gold, Eugénie Arturo in a romantically lacy chartreuse, and Tonya Stump in a flowing soft pink.
Following cocktails, seats were taken around tables accented with moody candlelight and centerpieces of lush, scarlet hued florals a la Hens and Chicks. In between seven mouth-watering French courses that began with seared scallops and ended with gluttony, the PBT company dancers performed perfectly timed vignettes that were received with one standing “O” after another, before Gary Racan and the studio-e band ensured the dance floor stayed full well past midnight.
When it was all said and done, the evening raised more than $449K, including auction proceeds of $115K alone.
A fabulous night for all, including co-chairs David and Gabriela Porges, Lynn and Ron Davenport, Kitty Hillman, Kathleen Miclot, Norma and Dr. Michael Sobel, Becky and Herb Torbin, Dr. Freddie and Hilda Fu, Colleen and Denny Travis, Murry and Cindy Gerber, Carolyn and Bill Byham, Clyde Jones, Carol Shriber and Chuck Snyder, Mark and Christine Popovich, Dr. Vonda Wright and Peter Taglianetti, Richard Rauh, artistic director Terrence Orr and Marianna Tcherkassky, and executive director Harris and Janet Ferris.
Kate Benz is the social columnist for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Clues to Chief Justice John Roberts’ thinking on new ObamaCare case
- LaBar: Timing perfect for Sting’s debut at WWE’s Survivor Series
- Iraqi family, torn apart for opposing Saddam, reunites in Pittsburgh
- Canteen features Woodruff tribute
- Horse racing industry banks on Wolf
- NFL parity makes playoff chase a multi-team muddle
- Finding balance between toughness, excessiveness key for Penguins’ Downie
- Time capsule salutes 250 years for Fort Pitt Block House
- Stores creating Thanksgiving dine-and-dash dilemma
- Two-alarm fire reported in Swissvale
- Stretch of Route 56 to close